• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Datassette Pinouts wanted

animekenji

Experienced Member
OK, so the 1530 and 1531 datassettes have different pinouts making them incompatible. I know the tape units themselves are identical. Does anyone have diagrams of how the cables and connectors are wired so that I can maybe build an interface or adapter of some kind or maybe just hack up the cable on a spare 1530 to make it work on a Plus/4??

Very cool. The only real diference seems to be an extra ground wire and it uses a round connector instead of a flat one. All the other pins seem to be same. Anyone know if the extra ground is really that important, or is it safe to leave it out?

animekenji said:
Anyone know if the extra ground is really that important, or is it safe to leave it out?

That extra ground wire is not necessary.
I always removed them, because you can blow up your computer if it accidentally comes in touch with the user-port connector.

Ah yes, there was a metal wire with a loop in the end that extended from the connector. Is that shield equivalent to the extra ground in the mini-DIN connector? I used it as poor man's reset button, knowing exactly which pin on the userport I should short. Of course it was risky, in case I misaligned the loop..

Back