• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Dead PATA and SCSI HDDs

twillkickers

Experienced Member
Anyone interested in old dead drives? I have a Seagate ST3120A and a Conner Peripherals CP-3104. The Seagate does nothing when I attempt to use it and the Conner sometimes recognizes but it is dodgy and barely works at all. Anybody have a use for these? I also have a few Apple ones lying around, if anyone is interested I will dig those out as well.

Every once in a while it would be nice to have a cache of dead drives to swap parts. But collecting random dead hard drives seems problematic.

I have one right now that the drive, which has some things I'd like to recover on it, works, but the controller card on it is cooked.

Every once in a while it would be nice to have a cache of dead drives to swap parts. But collecting random dead hard drives seems problematic.

I have one right now that the drive, which has some things I'd like to recover on it, works, but the controller card on it is cooked.

What's a good way to tell whether it's the platter or the controller card?

What's a good way to tell whether it's the platter or the controller card?

When the drive is very hot it will boot just enough to get to NetBSD single-user mode.

When it's cold it doesn't respond on the IDE bus. As it warms up it gradually starts to work.

Back