• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

dec rainbow keyboard

Yes but good luck. They are membrane keyboards thst go bad more often than not. Ive gone through 3 and still havent found one with a working membrane(detach membrane from controller board and you get no errors) I wish someone would remake this membrane today.

regarding the membrane keyboards… one trick I stumbled upon totally by accident, is worth trying before you toss it in the scrap pile….

I was using hydrogen peroxide to retrobrite the case of a non-working LK201 keyboard. Since it was non-working I left the entire keyboard together (for the weight) and submerged it. After 4 or 5 hours in the sun and allowing it to dry for a few hours, I plugged it in and it worked!

I poked around a bit and found that most of the time the membrane gets ‘sticky’ from age and that causes many of the keyboard errors, like the appearance of stuck keys. It appears the peroxide removes that ‘sticky’ stuff.

Since I had 5 of these non-working keyboards, I removed the rest of them from their cases and submerged them all in the hot water / peroxide solution. Very much to my surprise, 4 of the 5 keyboards came back to life and work perfectly. The key seems to be to allow enough time for the keyboard to dry completely. I suggest waiting at least 24 hours after shaking out all the water etc.

I have no idea about the longevity of this but its been over a year and the keyboards still work. Like I said, worth a shot of if you’re only going to toss it. I attached a picture of the peroxide I used in case anyone wants to know. I got it from Amazon of course. Good luck !

Attachments

• IMG_3765.jpeg
    IMG_3765.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
regarding the membrane keyboards… one trick I stumbled upon totally by accident, is worth trying before you toss it in the scrap pile….

I was using hydrogen peroxide to retrobrite the case of a non-working LK201 keyboard. Since it was non-working I left the entire keyboard together (for the weight) and submerged it. After 4 or 5 hours in the sun and allowing it to dry for a few hours, I plugged it in and it worked!

I poked around a bit and found that most of the time the membrane gets ‘sticky’ from age and that causes many of the keyboard errors, like the appearance of stuck keys. It appears the peroxide removes that ‘sticky’ stuff.

Since I had 5 of these non-working keyboards, I removed the rest of them from their cases and submerged them all in the hot water / peroxide solution. Very much to my surprise, 4 of the 5 keyboards came back to life and work perfectly. The key seems to be to allow enough time for the keyboard to dry completely. I suggest waiting at least 24 hours after shaking out all the water etc.

I have no idea about the longevity of this but its been over a year and the keyboards still work. Like I said, worth a shot of if you’re only going to toss it. I attached a picture of the peroxide I used in case anyone wants to know. I got it from Amazon of course. Good luck !
Fair enough but every time I have gotten any water or liquid on a membrane it pretty much destroyed it...........

thanks for the info. I have a rainbow 100A I have the dec color cable but don't have the color card and booted with the keyboard attached and then I would switch to a home made adapter for the mono everything was fine so I wired a RJ11 to the adapter now the keyboard dos not light up and I get error code keyboard I am hoping it is the keyboard and not the mainboard

Back