• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC sales numbers?

legalize

Experienced Member
Does anyone know if there is any public record of how many units of DEC products were sold? Perhaps something buried in an annual report?

I'm primarily interested in knowing the number of shipped units for various models of terminal: VT05, VT52, VT100, VT220, etc.

If you had wanted an early count of computers, that would have been easy. The DEC 1957-Present (really, 1978) report lists all the sales of computers through Jan 1977. A PDF is available through Gordon Bell's website.

Computerworld frequently did market surveys of terminal sales. I haven't found a break down by manufacturer yet but total market size would put a cap on possible DEC sales.

I expect there would have been a total number mentioned in the press release when DEC sold off the terminal line. Another source I have yet to locate.

Computerworld quotes an installed US base of 800,000 units of VT100 in an article about the end of production of the VT100. I'm guessing there were probably half-again as many units installed in the rest of the world, for a total of about 1.25M units. Of course, this doesn't count the clones like the C. Itoh CIT-101.

Back