• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Decompile/Disassemble Business Basic

SwedaGuy

Experienced Member
I'm looking for a program that will decompile a module written in a flavor of business basic, and executed by BASRUN.EXE.

There is an accounting package I used for years, and I had to shelve it because of date issues. Now, I would really like to be able to dust it off and use it again.

The problem is this: as nearly as I can tell, the dates of invoices, ledger entries, etc. are not stored as dates, but rather as a number of days since a fixed start date. That's why the software stopped working in January of 1998, not 2000.

So, I want to decompile the run-time modules in the accounting package and change the start date to something that will give me a few more years. Any Hints, Helps or Suggestions?

Thanks!

...The problem is this: as nearly as I can tell, the dates of invoices, ledger entries, etc. are not stored as dates, but rather as a number of days since a fixed start date. That's why the software stopped working in January of 1998, not 2000.

So, I want to decompile the run-time modules in the accounting package and change the start date to something that will give me a few more years. Any Hints, Helps or Suggestions?

In the DOS environment quite often the calculations were done from January of 1980. Calculating the number of days for the range you have given does look similiar to 64K divided by 10, but I'm sure all kinds of interpretations (no pun intended) can be done. With other than an Interpreted language you would be home free to disassemble it for the "days since..." DOS function call.

So DOS has a function call to calculate the number of days since a given date? I guess I didn't realize that...

I must have a reference guide around here somewhere to give me some details...

Finding an x86 disassembler won't be a problem, I'm sure of that...

Back