• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DECpc XL 590

munocat

I know this is not as hardcore as any PDP, does anybody have any experience with this model, DECpc XL 590. It does not post and does 2 1/2 beeps. It is a Pentium P90 MP, just got the 1 CPU in there. Memory is fine, tested in my 486 DEC pc. Hoping to get this Pc running and put UnixWare or NetBSD on it. It has scsi-2, and ide off the motherboard

munocat

The DECpc's are for the most part your standard Wintel of the time, so you maybe able to diagnose the beeps as anyone would with a basic consumer BIOS/motherboard.

Did find this and looks fairly close to what you may have: http://manx-docs.org/collections/mds-199909/cd2/pc/a0823svb.pdf

Thank you. I am guess it is the motherboard. I noticed bank 0, a few messed up pins and 1 missing. Found a replacement on eBay. I have found this motherboard quite not so standard. Seeing that the cpu is on a daughter card it can support few options. The lower end P90-P120, the P166, and with the bios chip changed, plus a jumper, it can have an alpha processor. The board has a Dallas real time clock and on board scsi-2.

I am impressed with the dec quality. EEC ram, parts seem of higher standards than most pc of the era I have come across. I recently got a DECpc LVx dx33. I have real digital memory in it now with its dec graphics card. I upgrade the secondary cache, made quite an improvement. I am running Slackware 1.2.13.