• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DECstation 5000/133 Power Supply Repair (H7826)

Twylo

Experienced Member
Hi all,

Yesterday I picked up a couple of free DECstation 5000/133s. Upon inspection when I got them home on my bench, one power supply was dead, the other seemed OK, but failed almost immediately. The failure mode was completely non-spectacular. No blown caps, no blown fuses, the fans just stopped spinning and no output voltage was observed.

I'd love to repair these supplies, but I have no schematics, and my Google-fu isn't turning any up. The real bummer is that there are no obviously bad parts, so I'm going to have to blindly work my way from the mains back and make some assumptions based on my poor knowledge of switch-mode power supplies.

If anyone has any schematics squirreled away, I would be forever grateful :)

Best Wishes,

-Seth

Pull out the PS PCB and follow the 12.1V output from the wires back. If you find a tantalum capacitor there it may be shorted, which is what happened to my 5000/25.

No tantalums seem to be shorted. I feel like something probably failed open rather than short, since the fuses aren't blown.

I think I'll start with a full re-cap, pulling all the electrolytic caps and testing them. These are 1992 electrolytic capacitors, and I really don't trust any electrolytic capacitors made in the 1990s!

I would start with the caps on the 5.1V output as they likely see the most stress.

That was a good tip. I checked the three 1800uF output caps, and one was extremely leaky. It wasn't bulging, it had vented from the bottom, which is why I didn't see it immediately.

The leaky cap was next to three 120 Ohm 2W resistors. The PCB around these resistors is very dark, they obviously get quite toasty. I'll likely replace them with 5W resistors for a little extra overhead. That said, I'm not sure what they're for. They're in a parallel arrangement, all bridging the same two copper pads, so it works out to be a 40 Ohm 6W equivalent resistance. Some sort of RC ripple filter, I presume?

The leaky cap was next to three 120 Ohm 2W resistors. The PCB around these resistors is very dark, they obviously get quite toasty. I'll likely replace them with 5W resistors for a little extra overhead. That said, I'm not sure what they're for. They're in a parallel arrangement, all bridging the same two copper pads, so it works out to be a 40 Ohm 6W equivalent resistance. Some sort of RC ripple filter, I presume?

Likely they are connected from the power rail to ground to provide a minimum load to the switching power supply (12V @ 40ohm = 0.3A, 3.6W total). This helps to stabilize the output voltage regulation and reduce the ripple.

I currently have a similar problem with a partly broken H7826-AA power supply from a Decstation 5000/133.
Was anybody successful digging out schematics for the power supply?

Maybe at least the pinout of the connector that goes to the board?

Thanks
Stephan

I was recently trying to repair the H7826 in my DECstation 5000/125. I'm not sure that you can find official schematics for DEC power supplies. I was just looking through http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/ and found some schematics for various boards, but not power supplies. Though H7826 has been reverse engineered at https://robs-old-computers.com/2018/09/23/h7826-power-supply-repaired/, with some older posts with additional info.

The older post at https://robs-old-computers.com/2018/01/01/update-on-h7826-power-supply-repair/ shows the input section, which is relevant if the power supply shuts down. Note the Q2 and Q3 SCRs at https://rjarratt.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/5019572.png. Those are two TO-92 case components on the small daughterboard between the big input filtering caps and the power MOSFET heat sink for driving the transformer. Both are crowbars, shorting out the low voltage power supply for the input section. When activated they also cause ISENSE for the SMPS control IC to rise via Q1, causing an even more immediate shutdown of the SMPS. The SCRs that was triggered keeps conducting until the power supply is switched off and capacitors had time to drain, so you need to either wait or short out that supply (at C24) to be able to try to turn on the power supply again.

Q2 gets the shutdown signal via the optocoupler closest to the edge of the board, from circuitry on the secondary side. That's the one shutting down my power supply.

Q3 seems to be triggered by overcurrent, via sensing on the primary side.

https://rjarratt.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/h7826-primary.png shows the circuit around that daughterboard. Note how C24 (small capacitor right by one of the big ones) charges from high voltage DC via R7 and R8. Current drain there must be low at first to allow C24 to charge. The SMPS IC is in low voltage shutdown. When voltage exceeds a threshold, the SMPS IC starts to oscillate, and then the power supply can power itself via a winding on the transformer.

I found I can simply inject power at C24, via a resistor to protect the crowbars, while the power supply is unplugged and see MOSFET drive waveforms at the power MOSFETs. I found C24 was bad. With a good capacitor there, feeding power to C2 via a 220 ohm resistor and no other source of power there, you'll see the power supply turn on and off as the capacitor charges and discharges, due to SMPS IC low voltage shutdown.

My problem is that shutdown signal going to Q2. Both probing the circuit and considering how quickly it happens, that doesn't seem to be triggered from the secondary side. But how is it triggered then?

I've defeated that shutdown by connecting the shutdown line from the optocoupler to ground via a 220 ohm resistor. Then the power supply sometimes starts, and always starts after being switched off unless locked out via the crowbar, allowing me to switch it back on so it stays running. It's enough power to run an RD54 plus its fans, but 12 V is just over 13 V and 5 V is 4.5 V. More load does not help.

It's odd that probing around the circuit board fibreglass, not touching any copper, I see voltages! I also measured 0.02 mA in current measurement mode. Maybe the board is covered in conductive dirt or degrading and starting to conduct?

Of course other capacitors are suspect. The 1800 µF 35 V narrow tall brown ones leaked in two other power supplies, but seem fine here. The voltages are wrong like I said but there isn't significant ripple.

Be careful regarding "ground". The "ground" of the primary side control circuit (negative side of C24) is at a dangerous negative DC voltage relative to AC neutral. Secondary side is safer, but note that ground connections to the circuit board happen via the screws which have lock washers and a silver area around them. If you take the board out of its case, you've severed ground connections to it.

Hi all,

... but failed almost immediately. The failure mode was completely non-spectacular. No blown caps, no blown fuses, the fans just stopped spinning and no output voltage was observed.

On most, or at least many, power supplies, if the fan stopps spinning the thing sghuts down.
The circuitry may possibly be a sail switch, but it is usually some sort of electronic current sensing curcuit in the power to the fan.
Try replacing the fan with a working fan and see what gives.

Back