• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

DECstation 5000/260 - any interest?

SiliconClassics

Experienced Member
I'm thinking about parting with my DECstation 5000/260 - it's been sitting in storage for years and I just don't have time to give it the attention it deserves. Includes keyboard and mouse, all in good condition.

The 260 was the top of the 5000 line and is almost impossible to find in the wild. This is located in New York but I'd be willing to ship.

Any interest?

I'm in Flushing, Queens (LIE exit 23).

As for price, it's hard to come up with a number because this system is so rare that there are no comparable recent sales. There's a DECstation 5000/25 on eBay at a BIN price of $300 but it's far less powerful than the 260, which was the top-end of the MIPS DECstation lineup. The system I'm selling also includes keyboard & mouse - the one on eBay does not, but does include some external drive boxes.

VARx, one of the last remaining DECstation sales & support companies, advertises a 260 for sale on their web site for $899:

http://www.varx.com/CAT/DEC-STATION_UNIX.HTML

But I think my system only has 32MB RAM (4x 8MB) and it is not backed by any warranty so probably wouldn't fetch as much.

So I guess, PM with an offer between $300 and $900 if interested?

Last edited:
Interesting you mention VARX, I was just about to order some parts from them for a DEC system I recently acquired. I forget if I ever bought anything from them in the past. Their price for the items I need were reasonable compared to some eBay offerings.

Your system sounds nice and interesting but I'm already over my vintage gear spending limit this month.

Back