• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dell/Goodwill Reconnect - Scourge of Vintage Collecting

There are other junk stores that I'll frequent as well. I figure that you only find stuff if you go frequently, and much of my collections have came from second-hand stores and yard sales, though you can also find some GREAT deals on eBay - if you're patient and willing to wait sometimes months (or years) to get the item you want at the price that you want to pay.

When you talk to the guys who've built really impressive Lionel train collections, they'll tell you patience is a key ingredient. You can find anything if you wait long enough.

A yard sale tactic that can be very successful is to just ask about what you're looking for. Especially if the house looks old enough, and you see other stuff in the sale that would be old enough to suggest they might have an old computer or two stashed in the basement. Maybe they say no. Maybe they have one but don't know exactly where it is, in which case you leave your name and number. And if you're lucky, they have something and know right where to find it.

Most people would be glad to get rid of their old computers, and thrilled to actually get a little money for them, but have no idea anyone has any interest.

And some people think old computers are still worth what they cost when new, but thankfully that's a minority.

When you talk to the guys who've built really impressive Lionel train collections, they'll tell you patience is a key ingredient. You can find anything if you wait long enough.

I agree with this 100%. I have been collecting for something like 9 years now and things I expected never to have (because of pricing and rarity) tend to show up eventually if you keep looking and pay attention. After a while you even build contacts who will let you know when something you need shows up.

Any collector who keeps at it should be able to find whatever they want in a few years time even without using ebay. The thing is most collectors start and burn out in a few years, or do not have the time to go looking for things outside of ebay. For me it is fun to hit a thrift store or recycling center once a week and see what shows up. Ebay is good too but not the end all be all.

A yard sale tactic that can be very successful is to just ask about what you're looking for. Especially if the house looks old enough, and you see other stuff in the sale that would be old enough to suggest they might have an old computer or two stashed in the basement. Maybe they say no. Maybe they have one but don't know exactly where it is, in which case you leave your name and number. And if you're lucky, they have something and know right where to find it.

This usually works well. It's how I've gotten a few smaller items I wanted in the past, and it's how my cousin (the Lucky Bastard, I'll call him - hehe) got a NM boxed original NES system with Rob the Robot pack-in, said GI Joe toy collection, and several other gems.

Back