• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Desktop Software

cliffmiller

In 1990 I moved to a corporate job in the city and was faced with a IBM PC running a terminal program and DEC “All-In-One” desktop software.

Does anyone remember that? It combined word processing and email messaging and even a spreadsheet if I remember correctly.

Coming from a PC network environment I remember it seeming crude and big-brother-like as it offered no flexibility or personalization—-

The keyword you provided was "terminal" as in terminal emulator?

All-In-One was indeed a word processor and email app (probably some others things I have forgotten), but I'm not sure it was ever migrated from the terminal screen user interface.

It came out in the early 1980's where all you had were VTxxx's and their character cell displays, something which lived on every VMS user's desktop at the time.

If I recall correctly, it even used the same keyboard mappings as WPS8 from the VT78/VT278 and DecMate standalone word processors of the time.

DEC enhanced All-In-One in the early 90's, but I don't recall to what extent.

As IBM PC's got their own local apps, graphical displays and network capability, I think All-In-One eventually lost its luster.

The VMS Pathworks product provided network file and printer sharing to PC's utilizing Vax (and Alpha) hardware resources, ie, large disk storage, cluster system fail over, etc and became a very successful product.

Dale

Back