• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Did Coppermine-128 Celerons have a Processor Serial Number (PSN) like the Pentium IIIs?

Yes, the Celerons shared that feature with the Pentium-IIIs but supposedly it was disabled on all shipped units.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/519/5 is a quickly found referent that matches my memory.
If it matters, there were tools that could call the CPUID instruction and parse out the 96-bit serial number. If disabled, the second call to CPUID won't succeed and nothing will report a serial number. Don't trust me or Intel; trust what the chip does.

Ha! That's a review for the exact same model CPU I recently bought on Ebay! I'm going to install it in a Toshiba laptop that surprisingly takes desktop Socket 370 CPUs. It originally came with a 1GHz PIII, but this Celeron takes about half as many watts to run; So now I can cure the laptop of it's known overheating issue... (The 15.8W of the Celeron 600 is very close to Mobile Celerons of the same era) I'm glad I'm so smart! :)

Ha! That's a review for the exact same model CPU I recently bought on Ebay! I'm going to install it in a Toshiba laptop that surprisingly takes desktop Socket 370 CPUs. It originally came with a 1GHz PIII, but this Celeron takes about half as many watts to run; So now I can cure the laptop of it's known overheating issue... (The 15.8W of the Celeron 600 is very close to Mobile Celerons of the same era) I'm glad I'm so smart! :)
For some reasons, many laptop those days has Socket 370 on the motherboard. I have done the opposite once about 15 years ago, replacing a celeron processor with a desktop pentium iii in a Compaq laptop. It ran just fine, but warmer.

For some reasons, many laptop those days has Socket 370 on the motherboard. I have done the opposite once about 15 years ago, replacing a celeron processor with a desktop pentium iii in a Compaq laptop. It ran just fine, but warmer.

Laptops in the late 90s and early 2000s used desktop sockets because both Intel and AMD had no dedicated laptop socket, and BGA CPUs weren't a thing yet. Their mobile chips used the same socket as the desktop chips for a short time. Pentium 3-M, Pentium 4-M and Mobile Pentium 4 CPUs all used desktop sockets. AMD used the Socket 462 for Mobile Athlon chips. Their last dual purpose socket was Socket 754, before moving to Socket S1 for mobile chips. There were also numerous laptops that used a Super 7 socket and had an AMD K6/2. I used to have a Compaq laptop with an AMD K6/2 450.

If you had a desktop with microcode support for mobile chips, you could install mobile CPUs in desktop boards and vice versa. This was beneficial for desktop machines if you wanted lower power parts, or some of the early CPUs with clock ramping support. On older Pentium 4 boards with a maximum 533 MHz FSB, you can use a mobile part to exceed the stock 3.06 GHz P4 and go up to 3.2 GHz with a mobile part.

I have seen some laptops, even Pentium 1 coming with a soldered BGA mobile CPU version.

I've seen mobile BGA Pentium II and III's as well. Don't know how common they were though.

All of these I have mentioned above are physically smaller than desktop variants and will not fit in a desktop CPU socket.

Back