• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Difficulty adding CF card to PacBell Legend 20CD

Juror22

Experienced Member
I have a PB Legend 20CD that mostly works - I've replaced the backup battery and added in a couple of sticks of RAM. It boots from the floppy into either MS-DOS 5 (the Packard Bell one) or 6.22, but it doesn't boot from the hard drive and as it turns out, I cannot get it to boot from a CF card either. It has one ISA slot open out of the three on the riser - one is taken by a standard sound card and the other by a Greystone quad IDE, ISA card (I'm guessing that isn't standard for a PB).

I've gone into setup and modified the setting for the board IDE channel 0 master to have User defined CHS of 993,16,63 to match the CF card capacity of 512 MB. When the DOS installer comes up for a floppy drive install, since it can't locate a suitable hard drive, I drop into DOS and try to fdisk /mbr the drive and it returns ' the master boot record was not written)
I have also tried using 4 different CF cards (a generic one, a SanDisk Ultra, a SiliconDrive and a Kingston), using two different CF adapters, two different floppy cables one of the CF adapters plugs directly into the MB. I even tried plugging into the Greystone card and disabling the MB IDE channels, but nothing has worked.

Any suggestions?

It is possible the Greystone card was fitted because the onboard IDE was shot. That or it could handle larger size HDDs.

I had the same thought (about a failed IDE channel). I can't find any docs on how to set it up though - the PB came to me as part of a hoard, along with a lot of software, disks and other pieces, but nothing that was related to the card and its set up. I suppose I should try a known, working HD to rule out issues with the MB IDE channel.

Alrighty - I've been working on this intermittently for the past few weeks - I never did find a spare working IDE drive (All of mine are in use elsewhere and I didn't want to sacrifice any to this project yet). I spent some time doing research and since I had been using either DOS installation floppies or PB DOS install disks, I thought that I would look into getting PB Master CD's and their accompanying startup floppies. I was able to get a couple of close ISO and mdf images that I burned as well as the matching floppy images, which I turned into floppies, using the dd command on my MacPro. After playing with those a bit, I was able to get the system to boot, recognize the floppy and the master restore CD and from there I attempted to format the installed Conner 420MB drive.

Although that didn't work, I sorted out that the drive was connecting, but not working properly, so I thought I would use these tools to make another attempt to get the CF cards working. I started it up and set parameters for the CF card and started the master restore CD. I used the format command for the CF card and it returned an invalid command error, just like I had seen with the Conner drive, so I tried another different brand of CF card and the formatting worked.

Now that I had a working drive, I used the Master CD to do a restore and it is currently installing to the CF card. I still want to find an image of the correct Master CD (170210R4) - I am using 170210R3 and my exact product code is not on the earlier revision, so I am hoping that using the slightly different code that I had to use, doesn't cause issues, until I can get the correct CD and install from that. I am looking forward to playing with Win 3.11 again on real hardware, after all these years.

*EDIT*
After completing the install it would not boot. After poking around a bit, it occurred to me that after getting the card recognized and formatted, I had neglected to 'fdisk /mbr' the CF card. Once I did that, reformatted, and then reinstalled, it started up into the PB Navigator, along with Win for Workgroups 3.11. This has definitely been a journey, but it ended well, Woohoo!

Last edited:
Back