• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Discovered 386 PC in my basement that I thought was lost in move of 1998!

If you can boot DOS, joystick testing tool here: http://www.oldskool.org/pc/joycalib

Actually, the timer-based mode (default mode) might work in Windows 9x now that I think about it. But clean DOS boot is always best.

Thanks Trixter! I downloaded and ran the utility. I found out that the joystick is not found on Port A. But apparently was found on Port B. Then, when I get the screen with the box and large cursor, the cursor is already in the upper left hand corner. Firing the buttons had no effect. The error message said both sticks were the same. Then I tried with the Port 200 option and the IRQ polling option, but still no joy. lol. I watched the video, and I never got a screen that showed coords. The only way I could get the program to respond was to hit a key on the keyboard. The joystick buttons had no reaction. Any ideas? Don't tell me I got a DOA NOS joystick.. :sad2:

Last edited:
Well, just got another batch of RAM from the same dealer on Ebay, only this time it worked! :) So the little 386 is upgraded all the way to 32 MB of Ram and 256k of cache. Of course I had to completely reinstall Windows 3.11 for Work Groups, because it just wouldn't start with the new memory. Grrr. :mad: But all is good again. Oh, and I checked the joystick on the Windows 95 Gateway on Trixter's test program and got some results. So apparently the joystick works. I may have a problem with the sound card's port. :confused: I also got a KVM switch on this pc and the Gateway 2000/Win 95 pc. They both share the CRT, Keyboard, sound speakers but not the mouse. I have a serial mouse on the little 386 and the Gateway has a PS/2 mouse (although it IS a combo mouse that SHOULD work as a serial mouse too.) I even have an adapter for it (ps/2 to serial) but alas, it doesn't work. I was really hoping I could get it to work too, so that the same mouse could be used by both Pc/s and KVM switch. Still I can't complain. All upgrades are complete!

glad your new ram works!
i;ve never had new RAM impact an existing WFW PC.. i conducted many RAM upgrades under WFW.
what kind of error or issues were you getting that you couldn't launch WFW after adding RAM?

Thanks luvit! :) You're sort of right about the RAM not making a big difference. Although I have one program "Homebase" which is a pretty hefty Foxpro database program for tracking book collections that used to take FOREVER loading back when I had 4 MB of RAM, but now with 32 MB it loads quickly, like any other program. But what happened after I added the RAM was that Windows loaded right up to the point where it paints the wallpaper on the screen, and is just starting to play the opening tune where it would get stuck (with the tune continuing its last note into infinity) then the BSOD that said Memory Parity error. So then I tried turning off parity in BIOS, but that made no difference. So I figured it was the same problem I'm having in the Windows 95 computer. That won't load either if I max out the memory to 128 MB, but ITS BSOD says problems with vxd blah blah blah. Run install again. So That's what I did in WFW. It was tedious to reload all 8 floppies AGAIN. But on the bright side, all of my settings, programs, drivers, printer, everything, remained the same, so I didn't have to redo anything once it came back up again. So then it starts up fine again, and I even re-enabled Parity checking in the BIOS. I still can't get Memory 86 to load though. It get all the way to the initial start screen for about 1 second then it shuts down.

I did find another problem that may interest you luvit, if you have the SoundBlaster Pro II like me. I wondered what that jumper was doing on JP2 (the so-called test port) It was on the 2nd and 3rd pins from the bottom. So I thought I'd take it off and see what happened. That was a few days ago. But with the reinstallation of WFW, I decided to rerun the SoundBlaster diagnostics, and discovered that my left channel wasn't working! I knew it used to, so I immediately suspected the speaker system (an OLD Gateway 2000 branded speaker set) Played with all of the connections etc. Then I even tried a known good speaker set, same problem. SO then I knew something was wrong with the card, and FINALLY remembered about the jumper I removed. Luckily I wrote down where it was supposed to be just in case. So THAT makes me wonder if that is why the game port seems non-functional. Maybe ANOTHER jumper is missing from that JP2? I never could find very good documentation on that sound card.

Here's some of my handiwork:

hello 001.jpg

...But what happened after I added the RAM was that Windows loaded right up to the point where it paints the wallpaper on the screen, and is just starting to play the opening tune where it would get stuck (with the tune continuing its last note into infinity) then the BSOD that said Memory Parity error. So then I tried turning off parity in BIOS, but that made no difference...
IIRC, turning off parity doesn't correct a memory parity error -- isolating and replacing the faulty memory does. :)

I've had similar issues in the past with Windows(3.x and 9x) for some reason after a hardware upgrade and running the installation routine over the top seemed to sort it out. It's a Windows thing. Some times it just worked out quicker doing that to get the system back to normal.

Last edited:
I thought it would be interesting just to TRY the internet on this old 386, so I installed Netscape Communicator 4.04 (This is Windows 3.11) with a 640 x 480 screen with 16 colors! So here's the result:

NETSCAPE.jpg

To say it is slow is an understatement. I'll have to see if there are any safe text type websites available.. Still, that it can even get on the internet is something. :cool: Ok, here's a great website for antique computers (and it's relevant!) http://www.w3.org/history.html No errors, and it pops up pretty fast.

Last edited:
I remember when Communicator came out, I stuck with Netscape 3.0 Gold because 4 was too slow - that was on a Pentium 75 - so I'm not surpised it's a tad sluggish!

A lot of websites you might have better results if you disable CSS in Nyetscape. The mix of new unsupported CSS properties with supported properties is generally going to be a train wreck...

Though if a website was written PROPERLY using separation of presentation from content, a RECOMMENDATION doctype, and semantic markup... You'll be in pretty good shape.

See my websites -- where on a legacy browser with CSS disabled you'd get an actually useful/navigable result. http://www.ewiusb.com for example:

"modern" CSS on 800 wide:
http://www.cutcodedown.com/images/ewiUSB/ewiUsbCom800Wide.jpg

Non-CSS HTML 4.01 capable browsers:
http://www.cutcodedown.com/images/ewiUSB/ewiUsbComNoCSS.jpg

Of course, that's PART of accessibility; more specifically PART of why we even HAVE HTML, PART of why we're supposed to have separation of presentation from content, PART of why we've been told to use semantic markup for a decade and a half, PART of why even when making your CSS layoutS you're supposed to progressively enhance, PART of why there's the unwritten rule of JavaScript "If you can't make the page work without scripting FIRST, you likely have no business adding scripting to it" ... and why "responsive layout" is just the next logical step and easy to implement if you've been working with semi-fluid elastic layouts that gracefully degrade.

Which of course might as well be an alien language to PSD Jockeys, Script-tards and all the people who are dumb enough to think HTML 5 serves a legitimate purpose, since they're still sleazing out HTML 3.2 and slapping 4 tranny or 5 lip-service on their piss poor outdated inaccessible coding practices.

Sorry... Just venting.

Oh, and you might want to try Opera 3.62. It's leaner than IE or FF and runs quite nicely...

Have you tried Opera 3.60 yet? I found old IE/netscape both were almost the epitome of suck with terrible rendering and errors. It is quite usable on my 486-33 but it is fairly RAM hungry.

I am a fan of Opera on vintage machines

Which of course might as well be an alien language to PSD Jockeys, Script-tards and all the people who are dumb enough to think HTML 5 serves a legitimate purpose, since they're still sleazing out HTML 3.2 and slapping 4 tranny or 5 lip-service on their piss poor outdated inaccessible coding practices.
It does serve a legitimate purpose - just not on every website. Here at work it's used in combination with JS rendering to provide interactive, animated, and windowed reporting dashboards for clients which can be viewed on almost any modern tablet, smartphone, or browser without needing a plugin or application install.

Agree with your other comments about sites being written correctly though. Information should still render without CSS or JS. I haven't even checked my own personal site, just using a premade template :/

Last edited:
It does serve a legitimate purpose - just not on every website. Here at work it's used in combination with JS rendering to provide interactive, animated, and windowed reporting dashboards for clients which can be viewed on almost any modern tablet, smartphone, or browser without needing a plugin or application install. Loads in seconds, and they can play with the data.

... and other than MANIFEST, (one of maybe two or three things that serve a legitimate purpose alongside RUBY support) what does it actually use from HTML 5 that couldn't have been done with 4 Strict?

Though yes, crapplets do operate on different rules from websites; though if that's ACTUALLY a website, it sounds like it probably pissed away accessibility for goofy animooted nonsense to make up for a lack of actual content; I may be mistaken, but as a web developer your description ALONE throws off alarms in my head.

Generally speaking, 99%+ of the garbage people vomit up in HTML 5 is just as broken, backwards, and the antithesis of why HTML even exists as the nonsense people vomited up with HTML 3.2 or 4 Tranny. Between the allegedly semantic new tags (section, article, nav) that are redundant to numbered headings and horizontal rules, that are so presentational you might as well go back to using FONT and CENTER (aside), idiotic re-introduction of redundancies (Audio, Video, Embed) that HTML 4 Strict was trying to get rid of (with OBJECT), elements that are scripting only and as such shouldn't even HAVE tags (CANVAS, PROGRESS) and new structural rules that reek of the W3C shrugging their shoulders and going "Oh well" -- it seems carefully crafted to undo all the progress of the past decade and a half. It sure as shine-ola has jack to do with writing cleaner, simpler, clearer code, leveraging proper semantics or logical document structure, of practicing separation of presentation from content.

No wonder most of the halfwits slurping it up off the floor embrace other idiotic bull like bootstrap and jquery, pissing all over their websites with hundreds of K or even megabytes worth of HTML, CSS and Scripting to deliver single digit K of plaintext and a half dozen content images; Then go to web development forums asking "why is my site so slow" or "why are users complaining about it"

There's a reason I say most web developers have failed to extract their craniums from 1997's rectum, and now HTML 5 is set to make certain it stays wedged there permanently.

Now I'm not saying that what your 'workplace' is doing falls into that category; but if it's ACTUALLY using HTML 5... dimes to dollars it does.

Unless by "HTML 5" you were referring to all the things that have absolutely NOTHING to do with HTML; See the new ECMAScript support and CSS3 -- which can be used JUST FINE with any of the recommendation doctypes (HTML 4.01 Strict, XHTML 1.0 Strict) because *NEWS FLASH* -- they are NOT HTML 5; no matter how many drooling morons in the media not qualified to open their traps on technical subjects call them that. Which is why HTML 5 is quickly ceasing to be a specification and instead becoming a sick buzzword ignorant fools abuse like "Web 2.0"

That's actually the real laugh of it, all the really 'cool' stuff people call HTML 5... Isn't... At all... and the handful that is (AUDIO and VIDEO), should have been implemented on OBJECT so we don't have vendor lock-in shoved down our throats and stay true to the intent of 4 STRICT.... the REAL laugh being they then sold it to the masses as FIGHTING vendor lock-in. (Flash) when it's the exact opposite. Gee, do I smell Apple's sour grapes over losing the last media format war in the mix there?

Again, sorry... pet peeve. Painful to watch people repeat the same mistakes over and over again...

Last edited:
... and other than MANIFEST, (one of maybe two or three things that serve a legitimate purpose alongside RUBY support) what does it actually use from HTML 5 that couldn't have been done with 4 Strict?
Video ... Canvas ... Audio?

Yes there are a lot of bloated web sites. Just look at the Yahoo groups "neo" even though it sorta works now, it is very slow

I hate bloated websites that unnecessarily use flash, scripts, html5 and anything else. I also hate when websites don't fallback gracefully but that doesn't mean there isn't legitimate uses of modern web standards.

Video ... Canvas ... Audio?
Again, VIDEO, AUDIO and EMBED shouldn't even EXIST as tags, as they are redundant to OBJECT. In fact, that's why EMBED was rejected from adoption and APPLET deprecated when 4 STRICT was created -- just as MENU and DIR were deprecated in favor of UL, or STRIKE and S were deprecated in favor of DEL. Hell, the original 'next version of HTML' was even supposed to get rid of IMG in favor of OBJECT... Less tags == simpler and easier to remember, particularly when the content... isn't content in the HTML sense of the word... also the 'plugin' concept was SUPPOSED to be interchangeable with in-built browser support... meaning that developers and users aren't at the whims of browser makers and their favorite pet codecs and containers -- you know -- vendor lock-in? It's why VIDEO is now an even bigger mess than it was over a decade ago at the peak of the WMP vs. QuickTime vs. Realplayer wars. The laugh being none of them won that war.

It's stupid making new tags for things that already HAVE a perfectly good and much more versatile tag...

As to CANVAS, as I said in my last post it's a scripting only element; it is 100% USELESS without JavaScript so why the blue blazes does it even HAVE a tag? Would have made a hell of a lot more sense and a hell of a lot more useful to let us get a context and then apply/append it to any DOM element. Probably why when I use canvas I generate it from the scripting, get a context on it, then add it to DOM from the script since -- good scripting practices 101 -- scripting only elements have NO business in the markup. I know, that too is an alien concept to most of the people sleazing out scripting any-old-way these days...

but that doesn't mean there isn't legitimate uses of modern web standards.
Which I guess just boils down to your definition of "modern" -- I don't consider the bleeding edge of 1997 style HTML 3.2 practices to qualify as such... and honestly that seems to be -- so far as being a markup "specification" is. (and I'm using the word specification in the loosest sense of the term).

Of course, the engineer in me still thinks specifications should be authoritative, not documentative; and this whole 'living document' bull the WhatWG seems to want to do -- much less how HTML 5 came into being -- sure as shine-ola isn't..

Last edited:
We don't use HTML5 for layout and I'm not talking about general webpages here. My stuff would get bundled in with the buzzwords 'web application' or 'interactive dashboards' etc etc. We use it for drawing. It provided an avenue for fast rendering of dynamic materials (yes through JS).

So the standard may be stupid, but right now it does have legitimate uses.

Though yes, crapplets do operate on different rules from websites; though if that's ACTUALLY a website, it sounds like it probably pissed away accessibility for goofy animooted nonsense to make up for a lack of actual content; I may be mistaken, but as a web developer your description ALONE throws off alarms in my head.
Yeah these projects are usually for an audience that expects it rather than Joe Public.
Accessibility is certainly reduced but you expect that when entering an interactive/animated system.

Sadly accessibility (including Braille and Netscape) does not give Steve from Marketing a boner :(
But for websites which contain textual information - we do the same thing you mentioned in your other post - readable without CSS/JS.

Last edited:
We use it for drawing. It provided an avenue for fast rendering of dynamic materials (yes through JS).
Which means it's NOT HTML 5. It's JavaScript and/or CSS... and could even be done (as "valid" markup) in the current recommendation doctypes too. (yes, even "CANVAS")

THANKS GUYS for the helpful suggestions! This is why I love this site! I'll try Opera 3.6 Very interesting about the HTML 5 stuff. :) Even though it's way beyond me, as an amateur web designer, I like to know things. ;)

Back