• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Disk II Troubles

Great Hierophant

Veteran Member
I bought a "working" Disk II off eBay, but I have had nothing but problems with it. At first it would sometimes copy disks and sometimes fail. I cleaned the read/write head with alcohol, I lubed the drive rails with silicone grease and I reseated all the chips and cables. But now when the drive door is fully closed, the belt motor will no longer spin. It only spins if the door is set so the clamp only makes the lightest contact with the disk ring. Also, I get errors like "Error Track $00" and the disk head doesn't really make its way up to track 00 on the innermost section of the disk. Is the belt motor not receiving sufficient voltage perhaps? (The belt is taut and not frayed) Did the drive head get knocked about? Advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have an ALPS drive, and I did not read Apple's Disk II Technical Procedures, which says in ALL CAPS not to lubricate the drive rails but clean them with alcohol.

Last edited:
I know the problem you are describing. Try loosening the two screws which hold on the upper arm and moving it slightly. You want to be able to look down the center of the drive with the cover off and have enough room between the spindle and bearring plate for a disk to fit through well.

Back