• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does any version of Windows 1.x work with MS-DOS 6.22?

Zap!

Experienced Member
I have an IBM 5160 XT with MS-DOS 6.22, and Windows 1.1 didn't work on it (see video below, not mine by the way but I have the same errors). So, is there some sort of remedy to make 1.1 work? If not, do later versions of Windows 1 work with DOS 6.22, such as 1.4?

I only remember that behaviour when the CPU is too fast. But I guess with a 5160, this should not be the case.

I forgot to specify how the command works.
In CONFIG.SYS,
DEVICE = SETVER.EXE
You may need to specify the directory SETVER is in if it isn't in the assigned path.
then in either autoexec.bat, or a windows launching batch file, or from the command line,
setver WIN100.BIN 3.30

I forgot to specify how the command works.
In CONFIG.SYS,
DEVICE = SETVER.EXE
You may need to specify the directory SETVER is in if it isn't in the assigned path.
then in either autoexec.bat, or a windows launching batch file, or from the command line,
setver WIN100.BIN 3.30

Thanks, my DOS is a little rusty lol. Anyway, the command worked. Now when I run Win, I no longer get garbled characters, however after the Windows startup screen, it just goes black and the HD stops running. Perhaps the rest of my config.sys is weak?

You may want to describe your system in detail. It is possible that some other component is not friendly with Windows 1. If you are trying to run a VGA card, Windows 1.04 is required.

You may want to describe your system in detail. It is possible that some other component is not friendly with Windows 1. If you are trying to run a VGA card, Windows 1.04 is required.

It's shows 640k memory at startup. I have a CGA monitor and card. I also have a CF card HD (XTIDE), along with a gaming and serial card. Not too much else is in there if I recall, but I can open it up if need be. My CF card is my D: drive. The XT runs off of an original 20 MB HD.

Here's what autoexec.bat and config.sys say:

Attachments

• 20230709_162320.jpg
    20230709_162320.jpg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230709_162250.jpg
    20230709_162250.jpg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Windows 1.01 or 1.1? I think you are using 1.01 if same as in the picture, which you said was not yours.

Have you tried DOS 3.3?

648K is an add number for a RAM count isn't it?

Seaken

Windows 1.01 or 1.1? I think you are using 1.01 if same as in the picture, which you said was not yours.

Have you tried DOS 3.3?

648K is an add number for a RAM count isn't it?

Seaken

1.01, just like in the video. My bad, I meant to say 640k. I was trying to avoid DOS 3.3, because it doesn't have my beloved edit.com, among a few other things that I'm spoiled with. However, I will try 3.3 as a last resort if nothing else works.

Well, a copy of VDE will solve that. I've used it as my editor as long as I can remember. I even put it on my DOS 5 installs just because I like it.

Seaken

Back