• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does anyone know anything about this ancient software?

hunterjwizzard

Veteran Member
Sometime back around the year 2000 a friend gave me a burned CD labeled "SRMA World Editor", it was supposed to be some kind of video game making software(us highschool freshmen legitimately thought we could make games without any programming or art skills, ah to be young again). All I can remember from back in the day is that it would not run on my 433mhz celeron with 32mb of RAM and no GPU.

I just found the disk while moving house and miraculously was able to pull a clean image off it with Alcohol120%. I'm going to go ahead and give it a whirl but I'm curious if anyone here happens to know anything about it. It was probably a few years old in 2000 and appears to have been long forgotten by The Internet at large.

I couldn't get the image to mount on windows 98, but despite being some 23 years old the burned CD appears to work just fine. So I popped it in the drive and here's what I found:

-SRMA stands for "shadow realm model animator", which looks like a cut-down version of 3d studio MAX.
-The disk itself is a "Game Programing Starter Kit 4.0"
-It includes a DX7 SDK
-And something called Genesis 3D SDK

It turns out to be an SDK for the 3dfx glide API. Really cool in 2000. Kind of an anachronism today. Might be a fun community project anyway, don't think anyone's released a glide game in 20 years.

Back