• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does GOG Galaxy prevent OBS from capturing video of a game?

Bill-kun

Veteran Member
OBS Studio, although I am by no means an expert in it, normally works pretty well for me. Occasionally I have to disable and re-enable a microphone or camera, or unplug and replug a microphone or camera, but OBS seems to be giving me a devil of a time in simply recording the full screen of my display 1 while I play a classic Sierra game in GOG Galaxy. The resultant video file (*.mov or *.mkv) is always only a few kilobytes and unplayable. OBS doesn't have a problem recording anything else I put on my screen. Does GOG Galaxy have some nefarious disabling that it does to prevent OBS from recording video of the screen, like the Netflix app on iPhones? :-x

It's possible it's related to the output type of the dosbox install, maybe surface or overlay can't be captured by OBS?

Well, just to close this loop, recording as I described now works in OBS! Yay! I guess I just didn't know all the (incredible amount of) settings and (incredible amount of) things to check to make sure audio and video were routed correctly. Also, sometimes just closing and reopening OBS "fixes" certain things. OBS has a huge amount of intricacies that take a big learning curve to be sure of what you're doing.

Last edited:
Back