• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does the hobby world need another 8-bit kit?

6809 kit

6809 kit

I haven't seen a 6809/6309 kit out there; that might be nice, as I have a 6309 just sitting around that it'd be fun to put to use.

There is a 6809 kit in the N8VEM project. It can use most of the N8VEM cards (Floppy, HDD, VIDEO, Color Graphics, etc) and has a port for the CUBIX operating system. A Flex 09 port is on the way, as well as an updated PCB that will allow th 6809 system to use a 6802 or a 6502 CPU as well.

Dan

There is a 6809 kit in the N8VEM project. It can use most of the N8VEM cards (Floppy, HDD, VIDEO, Color Graphics, etc) and has a port for the CUBIX operating system. A Flex 09 port is on the way, as well as an updated PCB that will allow th 6809 system to use a 6802 or a 6502 CPU as well.

Dan

Thanks Dan! Excellent point and ironically the 6809 host processor uses a dual row header mezzanine riser bus and for an expansion bus. Recently we added an ECB bus to it. All we need is an S-100 bus link (card edge) and we've covered the waterfront! :)

The 6809 host processor was originally designed to be a peripheral coprocessor on the ECB with the SBC (Z80) in control. However since then the 6809 has grown its own IO mezzanine and operates in a stand alone mode now. With the ECB backplane it is a completely separate system that can reuse the other N8VEM peripherals.

The 6809 system is not as widely known as the N8VEM SBC & ECB but would be an interesting platform to grow on. I really like 6809 although it never seems to come out from under the shadow of the Z80. Hopefully that will change as it grows and expands.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Back