• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Don't mess with the IT guys

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
lZlHhcO.jpg

More IT follies:

While working for a startup company, I had to go to a very large customer to install some of our software for them to try. They had trouble getting it to display anything. It turned out to be a Solaris issue. There was an optional package that could be installed for Solaris that would make the problem go away. We even verified this on an isolated machine they had more control over. As for getting it installed so the rest of the company could use it, forget it. I came to the conclusion that their IT department consisted of 500 guys who acted just like Mordack, the Preventer of Information Services from Dilbert! :(

Same little company, and we went to an even BIGGER customer company and had a different problem getting the program to display anything. In this case, it was because the software running on Linux was not allowed to display anything on a Windows desktop through a terminal emulator. We finally got the IT guy in the room, and he explained that was policy. Linux programs were not allowed to display on Windows (and I quote), "Because Windows is so much more secure than Linux." My eyeballs were vibrating back and forth in my head as I resisted the urge to laugh hysterically! :shock:

I sat in on a meeting with the IT department of a large company. The head explained that for web browsing they had two rules: 1) Only through a portal (kind of understandable), and 2) The only accepted browser was Internet Explorer (and this was two years ago - not even MS recommended that). After carefully mentioning that IE wasn't really considered a secure browser these days it was explained that yes, it was very secure, and the reason was that it was very configurable. Nothing was said from this side after that.

Back