• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS applications not finding SoundBlaster Pro

djfitzgerald

Experienced Member
I've been trying to install a SoundBlaster Pro card in my PC-AT (5170), but I have been running into some issues. All of the SoundBlaster-provided DOS test applications work, as do their Windows applications (specifically, their MIDI jukebox), but I can't get Jill of the Jungle or King's Quest I (1989 release) to detect the SoundBlaster card or its' joyport. Any suggestions as to how I can go about debugging and resolving this?

Did you try to select Adlib instead of SoundBlaster in KQ I SCI setup program? Maybe an IRQ issue. It's worth trying OPL2 alone.

Can you post your autoexec.bat and config.sys files?
What IRQ,DMA and base I/O are you using? Sound cards should be IRQ 5, DMA 1, I/O 220h.

Is that a genuine SBPro or a clone?
Inside the DOS test application, note down active base address, IRQ and DMA channel. Put those values into an environment variable BLASTER (using SET BLASTER into autoexec.bat), quoting Endersending's example it would be SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1. Now if it is an SBPro clone, you might require a driver to be installed first, either in CONFIG.SYS or later in AUTOEXEC.BAT. The "MIDI" sound is a different chip on the card, an OPL with a different base address, usually 388h so check if sound FX work first. You also want to verify you have no resources conflict in the base address or IRQ (e.g. second parallel interface) etc. Try CheckIt to rule that one out.

Was there a sierra version of Kq1 that had a setup program? I thought it was just pc speaker tandy sound or adlib encoded automatically and thats it.
The version I have actually has a setup program (install.exe). There is a menu for the music selection with "Sound Blaster / AdLib" and "Sound Blaster card" being two distinct options. My guess is that the first one is for pure Adlib (OPL2) at 388h and the second one for Soundblaster at 220h in which case I suspect the OP might face an IRQ or DMA conflict.
Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 21.02.46.png

I see so I have the original ones. I have a bunch of sierra games with a setup program but I dont think I see that until kings quest III (or IV?) on the versions I have.

I see so I have the original ones. I have a bunch of sierra games with a setup program but I dont think I see that until kings quest III (or IV?) on the versions I have.
I guess you have the original KQ I, I mean the AGI-engine version. The OP mentioned they have the 1989 release (most likely 1990) which is the SCI-engine version and a remake of the original KQ with better graphics and support for sound cards. SCI games used to have a setup / install program. The first SCI game was actually King's Quest IV in 1988. It was intended for AT class machines. Since many people still had XTs in 1988, Sierra also released an AGI version of KQ IV that did not have any sound card support.

Last edited:
Back