• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS tool for centering the screen horizontally?

RobertK

I was wondering if maybe a little DOS tool exists that allows you to center the screen "by software", in case that your monitor has no controls to do so.

I'm asking because I have recently built a CGA to SCART adaptor, and the picture on one of my TVs looks like this:

CGA-SCART-Adapter_05_1000px.jpg

And I have noticed that many old games from the early 1980s allowed horizontal screen adjustment in their startup menus, like for example Galaxian, Moon Patrol, Decathlon and Jungle Hunt. However, all these were (initially) self-booters that had their own "operating system" - maybe this allowed more control over the hardware. Note that this screen adjustment does not work in DOSBox (even when it is set to CGA graphics), you can use this only on the real hardware.

Maybe such a tool could be a TSR program that you could activate using some specific key combination. But this of course would not work with a game that takes total control over the keyboard (as most games did).
And I don't know how you could set the desired screen position for CGA mode while still being in text mode - I doubt that the setting would be remembered after switching modes.

Does anyone maybe know such a tool?

Back