• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS users can now access AEIN

Anyone who truly wants to benefit the AEIN concept is welcome to sign up for an account and begin using the service. If active members truly want something, it becomes a priority. Everyone else can stay on this forum, waiting for something perfect to materialize...
I signed up, and I would like to use the service. How do I do that?

Although mono would be useful, my main DOS machine is fairly capable and VGA is fine - especially since it looks so good with AEIN. :) However, since I need to reboot to use it twice, the service is worse than useless, because it entices me but I can't run it. I will not reboot my machine! I just don't do that with any of my machines as a normal course of events. That sort of thing is reserved for testing (which I'm willing to do for you) but shouldn't happen after the program is finished. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but the program is broken until that is fixed.

...I dislike it when people who have never used the AEIN criticize the service based upon false assumptions and the speculation of other individuals.
Ah, so he doesn't want to hear from the people who can't use it in the first place, telling him how much they'd like to.

I had no problem with listening to users' feedback until some people started talking about "dubious claims" and making exaggerated comments about the AEIN not working on "older computers" or the need to "tear apart" a computer to add an EGA or VGA card.
Speaking of exaggerated or distorted comments I can't find the words "dubious claims" anywhere in this thread...

I guess to him an "older computer" is a 486 or Pentium with an SVGA display; I don't think he realizes that for many people in this forum an "older computer" is an 8088 PC, XT or clone, if it's even an IBM-compatible machine at all. Most of those will be connected to a TTL monochrome or CGA monitor and it doesn't sound like an exaggeration that AEIN will not work on those machines without indeed adding an EGA card and its rare and power-hungry monitor or a VGA combo of some kind; people with those "older computers" are understandably disappointed that they can't use this service.

A 486 or later can access the 'real' web after all, albeit slowly, with its much greater range of what's available.

And the closed source and attitude don't help to attract anyone from here. IMO everyone has been welcoming, polite, and trying to be helpful; too bad he doesn't appreciate it.

Last edited:
Ah, so he doesn't want to hear from the people who can't use it in the first place, telling him how much they'd like to.

Speaking of exaggerated or distorted comments I can't find the words "dubious claims" anywhere in this thread...

I guess to him an "older computer" is a 486 or Pentium with an SVGA display; I don't think he realizes that for many people in this forum an "older computer" is an 8088 PC, XT or clone, if it's even an IBM-compatible machine at all. Most of those will be connected to a TTL monochrome or CGA monitor and it doesn't sound like an exaggeration that AEIN will not work on those machines without indeed adding an EGA card and its rare and power-hungry monitor or a VGA combo of some kind; people with those "older computers" are understandably disappointed that they can't use this service.

A 486 or later can access the 'real' web after all, albeit slowly, with its much greater range of what's available.

And the closed source and attitude don't help to attract anyone from here. IMO everyone has been welcoming, polite, and trying to be helpful; too bad he doesn't appreciate it.

Can the program run if an EGA card is connected to not-quite-as-rare-or-as-power-hungry 200-line 16-color CGA monitor?

More importantly, who is going to use this program/service other than the for novelty factor? And novelty computer programs, like demos, usually only get run on occasion. Is this program for Great Uncle Henry who thinks that his Tandy 1000 RL-HD is more than enough computer for anybody and that AEIN is just enough Internet to get the headlines, follow his penny stocks and allow him to maintain contact with his old pinochle buddies who now live with their children across the USA?

Back