• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dreamcast mini games?

ahm

Staff member
So I recently adopted another wayward video console -- a SEGA Dreamcast. Interesting system.
It came with the main unit, cables, a pair of controllers and a VMU (Visual Memory Unit).
I understand the VMU can be loaded with mini games and then played standalone.
Any idea where to find minigames or how to load them?

Thanks!

The only one I can think of is a Chocobo/FF game of some sort - I don't remember what - that gave you a Chocobo Tomogatchi on the VMU that could be taken care of and then brought back for a bonus of some kind in the game proper.

The only one I can think of is a Chocobo/FF game of some sort - I don't remember what - that gave you a Chocobo Tomogatchi on the VMU that could be taken care of and then brought back for a bonus of some kind in the game proper.

I guess you're thinking about FF VIII / Chocobo World. But that was on the Sony PocketStation (I wish I had one).
There is a list of all known games offering a mini-game on the VMU on Wikipedia page for "VMU"

Sweet, someone must have been reading my mind...
I've just found Dream Explorer/VMU Tool, software to let you manipulate the VMU in various ways.
The CD also contains a collection of VMU mini-games, so you don't have to hunt them down.

i find that the batteries in those in the vmu tend to die quite quick. th only reason i got a dream cast was because i could download and burn games for it and i didn't need a mod chip. plus the graphic are pretty good for how old they are.

Back