• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Drive Belt imploded!

Mac collector

Experienced Member
I got a new vintage/old Tandy 1100FD that has some erm, issues to say the least. It is perfect on the outside the case is in great shape. But it is missing the battery, AC cord and the drive belt is a gooey mess. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good supplier for the drive belts? I am going to try a cassette player belt as I found an old thread on here that said you could try that. Also will it work with out a battery, If I find an power cord will it work without the battery until I get one?

Look for a floppy cable for the Panasonic MSX machines on ebay (where I got my replacement direct from Japan for around $12 shipped I think). Should be a thread about the 1100FD here also. BE warned you have to take half the machine apart to get to the drive and you need to clean out all the leftover rubber goo. I have been thinking of replacing the lead acid battery with one that would fit, there are some cheap ones on ebay but the amp-hour rating is a little lower then original spec. The AC brick I use for mine is the correct voltage, amperage and center negative but just happens to be an Apple power brick for an old printer (cheaper then getting the correct part). If you are interested I will look the model numder for the Apple part up.

I will look that up and try to get a replacement belt, I did take the machine all apart to clean it and check to make sure everything is there and see what was broke. I cleaned 99% of the old goo out there is still a bit of it on the motors drive pully that I still need to get off. You have to take pretty much the whole thing apart just to get to the drive! I would be very interested in the Apple part number. Thanks!

I am using an Apple Stylewriter power adapter (for the M8000) rated at 9.5VDC 1.5A center negative. Last time I looked the proper adapter was like $20+, a bit much for a laptop I got for $5.

The original lead acid battery is a Tandy 25-3536 6VDC 1.8ah, and I was thinking of using an ebay #110541580842 6V 1.3ah that looked like it would fit in the compartment ($11.50 shipped).

Just checked and my drive belt was $12.40 shipped (April/2010) "Panasonic MSX Replacement Floppy Drive Belt !", item is not on ebay anymore, but his email is sales@retrogamecity.com so email him and check.

P.S The green CGA emulated LCD screen is very easy on the eyes, which is probably why I bothered to get the drive fixed and want to get a battery for it. All in all not a bad machine.

I am using an Apple Stylewriter power adapter (for the M8000) rated at 9.5VDC 1.5A center negative. Last time I looked the proper adapter was like $20+, a bit much for a laptop I got for $5.

The original lead acid battery is a Tandy 25-3536 6VDC 1.8ah, and I was thinking of using an ebay #110541580842 6V 1.3ah that looked like it would fit in the compartment ($11.50 shipped).

Just checked and my drive belt was $12.40 shipped (April/2010) "Panasonic MSX Replacement Floppy Drive Belt !", item is not on ebay anymore, but his email is sales@retrogamecity.com so email him and check.

P.S The green CGA emulated LCD screen is very easy on the eyes, which is probably
why I bothered to get the drive fixed and want to get a battery for it. All in all not a bad machine.
Thanks a bunch for all of the info! I want to fix it up and make
it run again. I enjoy fixing them almost more than playing with them! Glad to hear its
not too bad of a machine. It doesn't seem like it will take a massive amount of money
to make it run again (which is good because this was a freebie off of craigslist) Thats always a good thing!

Back