• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

eBay Global Shipping Program

Was there evidence of your items being repackaged? If so, how well (or not) were they repackaged?

Hard to say, but they were packed fairly well. I suspect if the forwarding company could re-pack an item to save on shipping they would do it, they'd also have to weigh up the time, cost and risk of re-packing compared to just forwarding the item as is.

The items I bought were fairly small, only a couple of Apple II cards. If this program works as well as this, I'd do it again. Those of us who live outside the U.S have very limited options for buying stuff from the U.S. I've used another forwarding company for a few items but gave up on them, because they were just too expensive.

This was in a promotional e-mail I got from eBay: "Remember, the Global Shipping Program is not only a fast, easy way to grow your international sales -- it's designed to keep you protected as a seller, too. If an item gets lost or damaged in international transit, any negative or neutral feedback left by your buyer will be removed. And if an item turns out to be undeliverable, eBay will take care of it for you and your buyer with no worry to you."

I don't agree with that part about negative feedback automatically being removed. If the item gets damaged during the trip from Pitney Bowes in Kentucky to the buyer, obviously it's PB's fault and the seller should not be negged because of that, especially given that PB repackages the items. But if the item gets damaged on its way from the seller to Kentucky due to the seller's own inadequate packaging, PB will say it was already damaged when they received it and will not cover it, and in that case the buyer should be able to leave negative feedback against the seller because of it.

You seem fairly confident, so I'd like you to comment on the following scenario: Let's say I have an IBM 5150 and 5151 (computer and monitor) boxed separately, and I sell them via ebay to a buyer in Germany. Being two heavy pieces, the buyer does not want an expedited service like Priority Mail as the shipping cost would be close to $200, so he requests cheaper shipping. How would you ship these two pieces to him, with a cost to him lower than Priority, and avoiding the post office line?

It is true that carrier pickup can only be scheduled for Priority or Express (now called Priority and Priority Express, but whatever), but they will pick up everything you set out, including non Priority Mail.

So, when I am doing a batch of orders, some of them are Priority (like domestic small flat rate boxes, which are $6.00) and I set them *AND* the parcel post/first class stuff. If none of them is Priority/Express, I'll wait a bit (or maybe we have a personal package that is applicable) to trigger the pickup.

You do need to reflect the total weight of *ALL* items in the carrier pickup request, so they know if they need to bring a dolly or bag or something.

On dropping off at the USPS facility, yes, I could see getting nasty looks if you are just some unknown person who comes in, rushes to the front, drops a pkg, and scrams. But, surely there is a way to go in when you have some time, ask the person on duty about an expedited way to drop off such packages, and see if the suggestion will work for you.

USPS lives on business shipping, and that includes eBayers. (The one-off shipments are mainly subsidized by the corporate shipping). So, they have, at least in the past, catered to people they know will drive significant business through the door.

I'm happy to help any way I can. I hate to see things not offered for overseas sales.

On the other hand, and to agree with the OP a bit in general, it frustrates me to no end when customers blame me for customs fees. I can link to a forum thread where a customer took me to task for them having to pay custom fees, as if the price I quote should include shipping *AND* any customs fees. If you as a non-US customer don't like customs fees, please take it up with your friendly governmental resource, not me. I didn't make the rule to charge fees like that. And, the angst I get from folks who don't understand such fees does temper my willingness to sell overseas.

Jim

Last edited:
In response to my original concerns, I just received positive feedback from the buyer who won the item that started this thread. 10 days US -> Germany isn't too bad, I just hope the GSP fee is reasonable. So far, I haven't been able to determine what the buyer was actually charged.

Most post offices (at least around here) have a door inside the lobby with a doorbell button next to it. If you want to drop off a package (with a prepaid label on it) when there a lot of people in line for the main window, you can ring that bell and someone from the back will come out and they can take your box. And they may be able to do so outside of the normal hours. For example at the post office I go to most often, the window is only open from 10 AM to 5 PM, but they said they'll answer the door between 8 AM and 7 PM.

Further research shows that, many times, the Global Shipping service partner completely replaces the packing/packaging when shipping overseas, and they don't pack things in the same manner or quality as they were originally shipped. For common sturdy items, this is fine; for vintage collectible items, this royally blows. I'm now reconsidering offering the Global Shipping option because I don't want the buyer to get a damaged item that they have no recourse for (they can't go after me since I packed it properly when it left my house, and going after ebay is like shouting into the wind).

How did you come up by that conclusion Trixter? Does eBay indemnify you against buyer's protection if you use global shipping? Otherwise, even thought it is the middle man who broke it you as the seller are still on the hook.

Those of us who live outside the U.S have very limited options for buying stuff from the U.S. I've used another forwarding company for a few items but gave up on them, because they were just too expensive.

This is true. I've sold internationally but never on eBay. If I sell over seas it is at the BIN price, priority shipping with tracking, and payment only through PP. It just isn't worth the eBay BS to sell internationally.

On the other hand, and to agree with the OP a bit in general, it frustrates me to no end when customers blame me for customs fees. I can link to a forum thread where a customer took me to task for them having to pay custom fees, as if the price I quote should include shipping *AND* any customs fees. If you as a non-US customer don't like customs fees, please take it up with your friendly governmental resource, not me. I didn't make the rule to charge fees like that. And, the angst I get from folks who don't understand such fees does temper my willingness to sell overseas.

Jim

Which is probably why eBay started this in thefirst place. They wanted to reduce the number of returned packages, unpicked up items, and refused deliveries because of custome fees. This way it is all up front and eBay can say hey you got your package. Pretty smart on their part...

Most post offices (at least around here) have a door inside the lobby with a doorbell button next to it. If you want to drop off a package (with a prepaid label on it) when there a lot of people in line for the main window, you can ring that bell and someone from the back will come out and they can take your box. And they may be able to do so outside of the normal hours. For example at the post office I go to most often, the window is only open from 10 AM to 5 PM, but they said they'll answer the door between 8 AM and 7 PM.

A friend of mine does the drop off thing all the time. They know him since he is there almost every day, so he leaves the stack of pre-paid packages if there is a line and comes back later to get his receipt.

On the topic of ebay's GSP, its basically an escrow service. ebay used to advise users to utilize a 3rd party service on high priced items until they started getting greedy. One of the most desirable markets that I would buy/sell internationally with, Japan, isn't really covered though. That has to do with the language barrier and the fact that Yahoo auctions is far more popular in Japan than ebay ever was.

Back