• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Electric Crayon

Surprised that that one went so quickly. :p

I've got one that works and doesn't have all the holes crudely drilled in the top of the case. It also has the original on/off switch still in the back and not rewired to the front.

80v9hg3.jpg

Typed in the demo programs from the 80Micro review article (1/81, pg 68 ) https://ia801702.us.archive.org/9/i...gazine-1981-01/80Microcomputing_0181_text.pdf. Been meaning to do a write up on it. :(

Mike

From the photos, it looks like it was modified a bit. I had one of these back in the early 1980s, and I do recall that it got pretty hot to the touch. It appears that the owner's solution was to drill a matrix of ventilation holes in the top of the unit. I think the front-mounted switch was also a modification from the original...mine had a rocker power switch in the back.

I used to give PowerPoint-like presentations with mine, before PowerPoint was a thing. It was pretty easy to program (through the Expansion Interface line printer port, as I recall) using "EGOS" commands.

If anyone has a physical or scanned version of the Electric Crayon manual, I'd be interested in revisiting the EGOS command set.

Based on the auction results, it looks like the "value" of this thing has held up pretty well. I paid $310 for a unit with 6K RAM back when it was new (in 1981, I think).

I've got one that works and doesn't have all the holes crudely drilled in the top of the case. It also has the original on/off switch still in the back and not rewired to the front.
Mike

It's been a couple years but I'm guessing you still have the Electric Crayon?

I'd love to emulate it; any chance of getting a copy of the firmware?

I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to make a work-alike based on the examples but where's the fun in that?

gp2000 getting me all excited that an Electric Crayon surfaced. Lol.

Know anybody with a Blaine mailing address? 8-)

I've got a mail box in Point Roberts but it doesn't do me much good these days.

But if you're suggesting sending the ROM I'm not really the best guy to dump it. I might be able to find someone in Portland if you're looking for help with dumping the ROM.

Back