• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ELIZA pre-AI software from Microware

tgarnold

I found this with some SWTPC 6800 software cassettes. I can't find evidence of it ever being offered for sale. Anyone ever seen it before? I contacted Ken Kaplan a founder of Microware who verified it is a version of ELIZA software written for the 6800. Did any other companies write ELIZA software for the Motorola 6800?
20240425_142038241_iOS.jpg

I have the BASIC version of ELIZA. First game I ever saw. It is fun to tweak the code and have it spurt out all sorts of weird responses. It was a very crude AI program for sure.

I have tools to pick apart tape formats and a 6800 simulator into which the code could be loaded and run at the command line. (And some actual 6800 home computers: a Hitachi Basic Master Jr. and a JR-200.)

I suspect that tape might be a BASIC tape, however. (I also have a repo with Altair 680 MS-BASIC, which is probably pretty similar to the SWTPC version.)

Note that if you dump this to a WAV file it probably wants to be at least 22 kHz, preferably 40+kHz sampling rate. I've found that lower rates don't work well. (Though maybe that's just me.) You can cut the file size by half by using 8-bit instead of 16-bit samples, however; CMT images do not need much dynamic range at all.

Last edited:
I'll see if I can get a wav file made from it. I have a cassette player, but not sure how well it works.

Great, cjs can you see if you can decode it? Or anyone else obviously. I am guessing it is in basic, but do not know. It may not even be the right software since the write tab has been covered with tape.

I'm not able to get anything but garbage out with an SWPTC cassette interface or with an S-100 KCS cassette board (both working). How did you record the audio - it almost sounds like it's picked up with a microphone in a room.

Mike D

Back