• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

EOI: Model III and 4 hi-res graphics board reproduction kits

I'd be interested in 1 Graphyx Solution for my Model 4 GA. I can build it up myself. Can do SMT soldering work pretty easily. So if we go the SMT route I can build some for others at a modest cost.

Count me in for at least (1) Graphyx Solution in kit form and probably a NGA in kit form. Keeping it all TTL is definitely the way to go in my opinion - nothing wrong with FPGA's, etc., but to me, if things get too 'modernized', what's the point anyhow?

Thank you for all your work on our old defunct delights, BTW!!!

-Rich

M4 Grafyx Solution prototype PCBs sent to the manufacturer. Should have them back in a couple of weeks. Once I have it, test units should be able to be assembled by me pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Ian.

I don't know if I will want one of these for my Model 4, but I'm excited to see this kind of thing even if I don't end up as a customer. Rock on!

UPDATE: GREAT NEWS!

The PCB prototype for the Grafyx Solution board arrived yesterday and I built one up this morning. So far so good, its in my machine and has been running test routines for an hour. Will report back after it has completed 24 hours.

So far it has been only tested on my Model 4NGA, the next steps are to trial fit it to the M4GA/4D, M4PNGA and M4PGA in the next few days.

For those of you keen to see what my masterpiece looks like, here it is:

DSCF0872.jpg

On the top is my board, and below it is the regular Grafyx Solution 4.2 board. My board takes the clever design of the original, and has it redesigned with 10 fewer chips than the original, lower power consumption, weighs less, but still maintains 100% software compatibility with the original.

Thus far I have booted TRSDOS 1.3 (graphics version supplied with the 26-1125 board), TRSDOS 6.01.02 (graphics version supplied with the 26-1126 board), and various Micro Labs graphical titles and they all work. Shortly I will be adding a hi-res page to my web site with the downloads of hi-res programs and the DOS versions to support them.

At this stage the Model III 26-1125 reproduction project has stalled due to there being so many hard-to-find expensive parts needed. Until I decide whether the Model III board gets a green light, it may well be sold as a "Kit B" form, which is the PCB, and some of the main parts, to experienced hackers. The Grafyx Solution replica will likely only be sold as a fully completed device ready to plug in and use.

Ian.

24 hour burn-in complete. No problems noted.

Today:

Trial fit one on a spare M4GA motherboard I have lying around, looks good.

Trial fit on a M4PGA motherboard , looks good though clearance may be an issue.

As I try them in each system I will report back.

Some pictures of it on my M4NGA test system:

DSCF0873.jpgDSCF0874.jpg

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi Frank, it works perfectly:

DSCF0877.jpgDSCF0878.jpg

PCBs and the last few parts have been ordered to commence production, testing on various other TRS-80s is still ongoing, pricing is yet to be set.

Cheers,

Ian.

Since we are testing various software packages, can people please let me know what they'd like me to try out next?

(GP2000 asked if it was 100% compatible with the Grafyx Solution... it uses the same TTL brains so at unless something has been overlooked, it appears to be completely compatible, including the speed improvement over the the Tandy board).

Ian.

At this stage the Model III 26-1125 reproduction project has stalled due to there being so many hard-to-find expensive parts needed. Until I decide whether the Model III board gets a green light, it may well be sold as a "Kit B" form, which is the PCB, and some of the main parts, to experienced hackers. The Grafyx Solution replica will likely only be sold as a fully completed device ready to plug in and use.

Re-affirming my interest for one unit of both models (for the III and the IV). If the one for the III is to be a kit no worries! :)

Glad to see this project move forward. Great work.

-- RP

Please forgive my ignorance, but do these graphics boards cause any problems for regular non-graphical I/III/4 software and operating systems?

Please forgive my ignorance, but do these graphics boards cause any problems for regular non-graphical I/III/4 software and operating systems?

Not at all my friend.
These boards are completely invisible to all regular software and operating systems in exactly the same way as the original Radio shack upgrades.
A huge plus point is Ian's use of a single modern low power SRAM so these boards will consume a fraction of the power of the originals especially when they sit idle..

:)

Back