• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Epson Equity LT and Intro

keury

Hello all,

I wanted to make an intro post, but I also wanted to start a discussion also, so I'm going to introduce myself over here instead. Everybody seems to be reading all of the forums sections anyway.

I've been lurking around for a few days, and reading through old threads. I'm thoroughly impressed with this group and hope to be able to contribute something meaningful, if only minuscule.

I started my journey in the TRS-80 (Model III and IV) days, and I took an Epson Equity LT to college. Professionally, I started as a PC tech, then network tech, admin, network engineer and finally landed in network security. I still have my hands in a lot of servers, but that's not my primary focus any more, professionally.

Most of my equipment is state of the art, but I still have a fondness for some of the old stuff. My current retro cause is my Epson Equity LT, which is what led me here.

I have 2, and am bidding on a 3rd (no sniping please). They all work, to an extent, but have all lost track of their hard drives. I've read on here and other forums that this may be due to the loss of CMOS information when the CMOS battery died. I've rectified the CMOS battery issue, although I still need to build new main battery packs. The current NiCDs hold a charge, just not for very long. The boot process seems to know that a drive should be there, as it spends quite a bit of time waiting for one, but I have no way of verifying that, yet.

I am looking for others who still own these things and any tricks there may be to get the HDD working again. I actually have 5 drives, but I have not been able to get any of them to spin up. The LT always returns 1701-C, which is "Drive not ready" according to the manual. I do have the user manual, DOS manual, and a collection of supplements, as well as the original reference disk and DOS 3.20 boot disk.

Interestingly, the LT reference disk does not include the low level format utility. All setup and/or diagnostics that should reference a HD, declare that there isn't one, including the low level format utility from an Equity I+ (in german... I'd love to have the english version of this if anyone has it)

I have also reached out to several people in regards to alternatives to a spinning disk, and if any of you are on this forum, Hello :)

Hello to everyone else as well. I'm looking forward to learning, and re-learning a lot from you.

Back