• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ESS Sound Card Question

barney

Experienced Member
I know that some ESS sound cards will only work in 8 bit sound mode within DOS. Does anybody know a particular ESS soundcard model that will do 16 sound in DOS games, etc? Thanks.

I know that some ESS sound cards will only work in 8 bit sound mode within DOS. Does anybody know a particular ESS soundcard model that will do 16 sound in DOS games, etc? Thanks.

Ask Maverick1978 about this, the man is a pro with sound cards...

Ask Maverick1978 about this, the man is a pro with sound cards...

HAH!!! Not hardly... I simply parrot what I've seen Great Heirophant, Cloudschlatze, and others post around both here and at Vogons. To be quite honest, I couldn't even tell you what ESS means :confused:

I know the hardware that I play with: Sound Blaster 1.5/2.0/16, PAS-16, and some of the Roland gear that I've setup so far (have others that are still on the 'to do' list). My two Turtle Beach cards and my Yamaha-based card are still on the to do list as well.

Just never enough time.... laugh - and yet I'm still looking to add a GUS and an Adlib to the collection and to-do list :)

(I'm a glutton for punishment)

ESS chips are SB Pro (8-bit) compatible at the hardware level. Natively they do support 16-bit sound but your application must have specific ESS support. Quite a few DOS games did have ESS as a sound card selection.

Back