• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Faery Tale Adventure for Amiga

curtis

Veteran Member
Does anyone have a working copy of FTA for the Amiga they'd be willing to copy for me or sell me? Expenses for copying would be compensated.

My copy is getting pretty dodgy. It doesn't recognize df1, even tho when I boot wB 2.04 it works perfectly.

The background music also doesn't work which is one of the cues of bad guys coming to visit!

Curtis

I can send you a copy. I assume you don't have a way of copying from internet to Amiga floppy - otherwise it's quite easy to find.

I thought you wanted to run it on your new A3000. Have you checked out Peter McGavin's patch or WHDload as I mentioned? Faery Tale is much more fun when run from hard drive. You don't have to wait forever for it to load when you go in and out of buildings. If you want, I can send you a hard drive installable version with patch on DD floppies. (easier if you've got HD floppy - I can fit both image and patch on one disk)

Last edited:
Actually, I ended up selling the 3000. Just couldn't get it to work for what I had planned, add a 386 bridgeboard and assorted PC boards, besides the games component! Not enough bays for drives and no 5.25" bay!

If you can send the hd installable version, I"ll take it!

Better go with DD. I think this unit has a HD floppy, but not sure. That or go ahead and send both, if you don't mind.

I'll pm you with my address and details.

Ok, here's an update that really has me scratching my head.

I got my A500 up and running with A1011 external drive. Dropped the game disk in df0: and turned it on Booted right up. Music took a few seconds to clear up from static, but after that, nice and clear. Decided to load a saved game. Put that disk in the 1011 and told the game to load. It did without so much as a whimper!

WTF?!?!?!?!?

Looking more and more like hardware!

A couple of details I forgot to mention.
1. I'm using an A2320 Amber board for vga output. Is there some sort of incompatibility between FTA and 2320?
2. Does FTA have a problem with high density drives? My df0: is HD while the df1: is obviously LD. Problem there?
3. Since I only have 1 internal drive and have set the motherboard to match, is that a potential problem?
4. Is there some sort of incompatibility between the A2000 and FTA?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestion/help of any Amiga guru's out there.

BTW, if there is a problem with the A2320 board and FTA, how about the ICD Flickerfixer? I would be willing to swap with someone!

Curtis

Well, after a lot of cussing and disassembling and more cussing, I finally found out what's going on with my A2000 and Faery Tale Adventure.

1. FTA doesn't like df2: In the A2000, if you attach an external floppy, it's df2: no matter whether you have a second internal drive or not. FTA doesn't see it. Period!
2. FTA doesn't like KS 2.0 or newer. It'll boot okay, but you won't have any sound! And with this game, sound is kinda important. Let's you know when the bad guys are coming or someone/something is about to do unto you!

Guess I'll have to see about getting a KS switcher. That or just downgrade everything to 1.3.

Hmmm...

Hm. Once upon a time when I bought my Amiga 500+, it came with Fairy Tale Adventure as one of four freebie games from the store. The 500+ has KS 2.04, ECS graphics and 1 MB built in (later upgraded to 2 MB) and most definitely loaded and played FTA from floppy disk with sound. Unfortunately I caught a virus and the boot floppy got partly damaged so I never played it much. By now it is long sold.

Well, you could just wait for the hard drive install I sent you and that should solve all your problems.

Yes, Faery Tale doesn't like 2.0+... or newer processors. That's what the hard drive install also fixes.

That static you hear occasionally when the game starts up is a known problem that is also fixed with the hard drive install.

Well, you could just wait for the hard drive install I sent you and that should solve all your problems.

Yes, Faery Tale doesn't like 2.0+... or newer processors. That's what the hard drive install also fixes.

That static you hear occasionally when the game starts up is a known problem that is also fixed with the hard drive install.

Guess I'll have to just develop a bit of patience and wait on the postal services of 2 countries! At least we're on the same side of the volcano that's holding up my Amigakit order due to all European air traffic being grounded!

Does the hd install also fix the problem of many of the graphics getting really funky much later in the game? I've noticed that on every copy of the game I've ever seen. Swan looks REALLY weird towards the end of the game!

Guess I'll have to just develop a bit of patience and wait on the postal services of 2 countries!

Wow, you must really want to play that game badly. ;) You can probably expect them to arrive Friday or next Monday.

You Americans have it easy with your 1-2 day free shipping all over the place. Canadians have to wait 1-3 weeks with obscene shipping charges to get stuff from the US. We know all about waiting for mail.

Does the hd install also fix the problem of many of the graphics getting really funky much later in the game? I've noticed that on every copy of the game I've ever seen. Swan looks REALLY weird towards the end of the game!

I have never seen Faery Tale graphics get "funky". Can you take a photo of that "weird swan"? I'd like to see that.

There were two versions of Faery Tale: the original, which I bought, and a patched version that was released by MicroIllusions to fix some bugs. Maybe this fixes this "weird swan" problem you mention (though I played the original to the end and never saw that bug). That's the version I sent you because Peter McGavin's hard drive install patch requires it.

Actually, if I can't wait for a fix, I'll just fire up the A500, but it's a lot nicer on my VGA flat panel.

Yeah, we Yanks do have it pretty good, but from everything I'm hearing, our Post Office is about to undergo some significant changes. No more Saturday delivery, postage about to launch into the stratosphere, etc., etc.

Guess that's why a lot of Canadians I've dealt with in the past, if they were anywhere near the border, they'd pop across the border and set up a post office box here in the states and use that for all their US transactions.

Have you ever had any dealings with Australians? Their postal charges are outrageous!

As to the swan, I'll try to get a shot of that. The swan starts getting a really blocky head as do the ogremen and other baddies.

Back