• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Fergusin BigBoard II system diskettes?

BBII system diskettes

BBII system diskettes

Just ran across this and am interested in the BBII use of multisize disks. I have a BBII I put together in the early 80 with 8" disks. It's still on the shelf with all the disks. Haven't run it in years but it holds fond memories and I hesitate to part with it. Back in the day there was a kit from, IIRC, Andy Bakkers (may have the spelling wrong), from the Netherlands to allow running 8" and 5" at the same time. He ran ads in MicroCornucopia and came to the SOGs. Not sure if that solves the currently discussed issues. I don't have it but I consisted of an updated PAL to allow software switching of the needed signals and some software. I see that the contents of the PALs are available on bitsavers so it might be possible to locate someone with the information or recreate it. Also have a Xebec board for hard drive interface but never got it going.

Interesting! Yes, I remember Andy from his articles in Micro Cornucopia. I am still looking into this and have been trying to format disks on the BBII. Sadly BB2FORMT.COM appears to format 8" only. I have played some with the source of the BBI formatter with limited success. The formatter does two calls past the CBIOS jumptable rendering it incompatible. Further is the address of the controller different. I fixed that, but the biggest hurdle remains: On the BBI the controller was connected to the NMI line. On the BBII it is connected to CTCA. Thus when the formatter does a HALT, waiting for the controller to finish, it hangs. Still struggling with that. Found a DUTIL.ASM that says it is for BBII and claims it can format one track. That code uses DMA instead so I might go that route instead.

I use this nifty crossassembler on Linux: http://www.z80cpu.eu/projects/78-data-articles/projects/76-mdz80

The BBII monitor expects the boot track to be SD, even on a DD disk. Thus a 5.25" boot disk will have a SD track 0 with 18 sectors and the rest of the tracks are 9 sectors DD with 512 bytes/sector. CBIOS does the deblocking.

The CBIOS can handle 256/512/1024, but I chose 512 as that seemed to be what my PC writing the disks could handle reliably. In fact at 250kb MFM it would produce disks that were readable on the BB, but not on the PC, 300kb were readable on the PC.

So I wrote a program that created a dummy IMD file with the above parameters, verified that the disk written had the sectors in the right place, as read by the BBII monitor.

Then wrote a SYSGEN/PUTSYS program that takes an empty infile, a cpm.com file and created an IMD image, with CBIOS and CPM on the correct sectors.

It now loads CBIOS and CP/M, but then exits to the monitor, so I have to dig a bit more.

OK. Have a bootable diskette. Will create a master image with those (IMD-format) and upload when done.

Back