• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Filling the DOS gap of the at that time so-called Windows Accelerator SVGA cards

Ah, I thought we were talking about ISA cards.
If you're wanting PCI, it's a totally different game. Just get a Trio64V+ and be done with it.

S3 928 is probably a poor choice for PCI...I don't know if that one supports PCI natively. Either way it's not a mature solution.

I see.
Well, I could use expertise for ISA cards too, here are the 2 questions:

1) While the Pentiums are PCI-based, the 486 is ISA only. I'd apply your suggestions for the 486 (Compaq Prolinea 4/66 DX2). However, in that case, the Whatever ISA SVGA shall have to compete against the ET4000/W32p that is built on the motherboard under a "local bus" (quoting the mobo spec sheet). In other words, it gotta be worth it! If this "local bus" is a 32 bit 33 MHz one, the ISA card will have to compete against basically a kind of a "PCI" ET4000/W32p.

2) On the PCI Pentiums, what about S3 Vision 968 and/or Cirrus GD5446BV?

Thanks again!

If your 486 already has built in local bus graphics, I doubt any ISA replacement would be worthwhile. W32P is already a pretty decent solution for local bus.

S3 968 and GD5446 should both offer pretty good DOS performance, and a good windows experience, particularly the 968.

Back