• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Finally managed to get another of the first computer I ever owned... JR-100U... Waited 20 years to find one.

cj7hawk

Veteran Member
My first computer was a JR-100U - by Panasonic. Mine originally came with an english manual, which I found the PDF for in a few places and the one I managed to find had a japanese manual, and except for missing the top poly sheet, it's in near original condition. No scratches, still wrapped in plastic, and was an attic find in Japan.

It wasn't the first computer I got to use - that went to a Sinclair ZX80 a friend owned, which I got some limited access to, but it was the first computer I got to have. My dad went on a trip when I was about 14, and brought it back from Japan. Probably the most expensive present he got me when I was a kid. I even put in a joystick interface, but never learnt to program it as machine code was out of my experience at 14 and new to computers. But I programmed many basic programs and played what games I did have to death on it.

Finding and collecting old computers was fun, and I managed to get a zx80 long ago, but the JR-100U eluded me. Until a few weeks ago. At first, I thought I had been had - as soon as I bought it, it showed back up in another ad, with exactly the same pictures and description, but Ebay assured me the sale appeared genuine when I contacted them... So I waited.

And it arrived. As pictured. In great condition.

I'm waiting on a power adapter since it has a 110 volt PSU, but there was something that just clicked when I took it out of the box - something about the feel and the magic of the first computer I ever held in my hands and was able to use by myself. Write my own programs and make it do what I wanted - not someone elses, or time shared on a computer at school - and still only the third computer I had ever laid my hands on ( the first, a terminal at an open day when I was around 12, the second a friends zx80, then I had my own. ). Memories of all the code I wrote came flooding back. Modifying integer maths in basic to handle decimals and perform floating point calculations... Writing my own routines to perform square roots in integer basic. Games, routines and other functions. My first typing trainer ( with the space bar next to the C key instead of down the bottom ).

At first, I wondered if I should get the JR-200 since both appeared at the same time on Ebay - it was like the JR-100 but color, twice the memory at 32K and far more capable with a space bar, but holding the JR-100 in my hands too me straight back to the past... I still can't turn it on and feel like it's the only collectors computer I bought that I had absolutely no regrets buying. It felt like the prodigal son had returned home.
It was an underpowered machine, and I write my bit-addressable software in BASIC. It was slow. It was limited. The tape was painful to use. The graphics were monochrome.
But it was mine once again, since I lost the original when my mother died and my sister cleaned out her house to sell it ( I never thought to keep it back then ).

If anyone has a service manual or can point me to other manuals, adverts and documentation for the JR-100U that I can obtain, I would be most appreciative. I'm not expecting to find a lot - after all, it's the first JR-100 that I can recall seeing on ebay, and suddenly 2 come up at the same time. They didn't sell well, and I think I heard less than 1000 got sold worldwide, though it's anecdotal and I can't find a modern reference to it.

Kind Regards
David

Hi cj7hawk,
I did a quick search and have found the English manual available from the internet archive, Manual. There is also a pretty in depth website in Japanese (my browser auto-translates it) that also has some pictures of documents about it, website. That is a pretty cool computer to get your hands on. Good luck on your searches!
Sincerely,
Acassel

Yep, it's a nice machine and not so bad at all, you have 32 UDGs to play with!. Machines like the ZX80 or ZX81 are much weaker than the JR-100.

I've quite some "BASIC magazine" issues with some JR-100 listings, that's all, no original software.

Hi cj7hawk,
I did a quick search and have found the English manual available from the internet archive, Manual. There is also a pretty in depth website in Japanese (my browser auto-translates it) that also has some pictures of documents about it, website. That is a pretty cool computer to get your hands on. Good luck on your searches!
Sincerely,
Acassel

Wow! That link was great.
My memory of the manual is bittersweet. I lost it the day I got the computer and had to figure it out piece by piece by reading games that came with it. I didn't have a lot of games, but it had a few and I wrote many and for months couldn't save programs as my tape was faulty, but the keyboard was a good substitute. I found it many many years later when I had already transitioned to the Spectrum.

Yep, it's a nice machine and not so bad at all, you have 32 UDGs to play with!. Machines like the ZX80 or ZX81 are much weaker than the JR-100.

I've quite some "BASIC magazine" issues with some JR-100 listings, that's all, no original software.
If you think game availability was a challenge in the real world, imagine what it was like in a place like Australia... Zero... If I couldn't write it myself, it didn't exist. Except for planet wars and space invaders which came on my tape I got with it.

It's a shame I never got the japanese manual with it. That seems to be full of type in software. I did find a site that had audio files of a few JR100 games, but that was all.

For those who came into this forum late, I did find some other software, including some that was released across multiple platforms by the publisher.

http://inufuto.web.fc2.com/8bit/ - Quite a few games, and across multiple platforms. All work for the JR-100 though, and it looks like the publisher released all their software across multiple platforms into the public domain.

https://www.gamingalexandria.com/wp/2022/12/libble-yuichiro-takamizawa/ - Libble - Source and audio.
https://www.gamingalexandria.com/wp/2022/12/ball-game-satoshi-watanabe/ - Ball Game - Source and audio.

There's some repeated information on TOSEC, but it's just a subset of the inufuto stuff.

I really miss the Space Invaders implementation on this platform - it might be lost to history, but it was one of the best Space Invaders home computer versions I can recall seeing in the early 80s, and it was very fast even on this old slow machine - possibly because it used the definable characters and character mapped the graphics.

http://inufuto.web.fc2.com/8bit/ - Quite a few games, and across multiple platforms. All work for the JR-100 though, and it looks like the publisher released all their software across multiple platforms into the public domain.
Ah, you found inufuto! That's not a publisher, it's just some guy who wrote a half dozen games and then ported them to every freaking 1980s microcomputer ever. Truly impressive.

His YouTube channel is great for getting a sense of how graphics and sound on different '80s computers compare.

Ah, you found inufuto! That's not a publisher, it's just some guy who wrote a half dozen games and then ported them to every freaking 1980s microcomputer ever. Truly impressive.

His YouTube channel is great for getting a sense of how graphics and sound on different '80s computers compare.

Oh, that is pretty amazing. I did wonder at some of the computers on his site and how widespread the port was. :)
Fantastic work he did there.

Do you know if there is any JR-100 software preserved anywhere? They made a lot but it is incredibly difficult to find and I've sever found any recordings online.

My friend Sean has the Demonstration Program Tape that was originally shipped with the unit (containing 1. Demonstration, 2. Calendar, 3. Mole Game, 4. UFO). I can probably arrange to get a copy of that, or you can ask him directly through his blog site.

I'm not sure if the Game Preservation Society has any JR-100 games, and they don't give out copies anyway, but next time I see Joe I'll ask just to get a list of stuff to look for.

Given the dearth of software, we obviously need to get off our butts and make some! I guess I really do need to haul out my JR-100 and get to work on it now, starting with adding the tape format to cmtconv. (I bet it's pretty close to the JR-200 tape format that it already supports.)

That would be great. I have another JR-100 which I got in the box, which had two tapes with it. I haven't tried them out yet, but will pull out my tape drive and make some digital images of them also.

I checked the game preservation society and noted that it seems focused mostly around the PC-8xxx systems and didn't even mention the newer Japanese machines let alone the early ones. If you speak to them and they are interested in JR-100 software I'm happy to provide images of what I have.

I miss my original supplied tape which had a very good space invaders clone and another game called planet wars which involved controlling two satellites orbiting the earth and shooting meteors down... A bit like Missile command, but a completely different screen design and way of controlling since the "gun" satellites were orbiting the earth. It had a really nice rendition of the earth spinning in the middle which used up most of the reprogrammable characters.

There was quite a bit of software for the JR-100 but it was all in Japan and it is very hard to find. I used to write music files for it and also wrote... a few dodgy pacman like games and so on, written in basic. All lost to time unfortunately.

I checked the game preservation society and noted that it seems focused mostly around the PC-8xxx systems and didn't even mention the newer Japanese machines let alone the early ones. If you speak to them and they are interested in JR-100 software I'm happy to provide images of what I have.
Oh, that's just the part of their database they have on-line, presumably they did that first because it's the most popular bit. Their collection is vast and covers even machines I'd never heard of. (Or so it feels.)

I don't think that they would accept "pirate" copies of things; they are a collection of the original tapes, diskettes, manuals, etc. But I'll check with Joe next time I see him.

Given the copyright and trademark breaches already existing in the software that National was selling (Mastermind etc) I think that there is probably no such thing as a "Non Pirate" JR-100 game - LoL! :) Well, your friend may find them scans of the tape and tape manuals interesting :)

The software is really tricky to figure out how to play. Some of it has instructions. Others not so much.

So far all the games are in BASIC and I've had to digitally analyse and reconstruct the signal to get the tapes to load... Then I have to load them into the JR100 and then save them out to the PC... Not a simple task. But so far my success rate is 100% - The tape encoding is FM (BiPhase). Loss of signal is the biggest problem so far. DC offset is the second biggest issue.

Fortunately the tapes are saved on both sides, and the JR100 will attemp to load anything even with errors.

Gaming Alexandria has recently added a new Type-in entry for the JR-100: Grade Average Bar Graph

So far all the games are in BASIC and I've had to digitally analyse and reconstruct the signal to get the tapes to load... Then I have to load them into the JR100 and then save them out to the PC... Not a simple task. But so far my success rate is 100% - The tape encoding is FM (BiPhase). Loss of signal is the biggest problem so far. DC offset is the second biggest issue.
I'm eager to see that tapes preserved!

Gaming Alexandria has recently added a new Type-in entry for the JR-100: Grade Average Bar Graph

I'm eager to see that tapes preserved!

I'm down to the last three files on the tape. All other files have been recovered successfully. I'm using a tape-to-USB adapter to digitize the audio, then saving the file as 8 bit raw, then processing the file with a basic program that cleans up the waves and turns them into square waves again, so when reloaded into the PC and played back, the JR-100 can read clean edges from the signal.

It's working fairly well. I get some issues from tape, but generally I can get one of the two files on the tape to load, and when I got two faulty versions, I was able to find and correct the incorrect byte so it ran correctly.

Although it's all in BASIC, there's a very good 3D Maze program which would have been groundbreaking in 1982. It generates a maze (fixed pattern based on memory ) and then shows you the map, then lets you move through the maze in 3D using the limited character map that can be redefined.

The "Organ" software works pretty well too and I was able to play some simple tunes on it reasonably well.

It's a shame there's nearly nothing online for this computer, even though it is emulated. It was very underpowered compared to the JR-200 - and it's a shame that so little was saved from it's era.

I like the grade display program. When I got my computer, my father asked me to adapt one of his programs to calculate the Z Score ( working from a standard distribution model ) for his class students and his formulas required square roots, which of course, the JR100 and it's integer maths does not cope with. I had to do some decimal shifting and successive approximation to get it working to two decimal places, but I managed to do it. It was slow, but functional. It took me a couple of days to learn enough basic programming to adapt his source, and it felt like a big achievement when I was a young kid.

Back