• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Finding Accessories for C64?

videogames4trade

So, I am really looking to find a couple of mice for C64, another power supply, and a key for the F1 key.

I did not see any posts for trading or selling, and I am hoping that maybe some of you guys have extra stuff, or just want to help a fellow old school computer user?

:)

Thanks!

There is a specific section: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forumdisplay.php?29-Vintage-Computer-Items-Wanted

Anyway, in order of your requests:

1. Mice were very uncommon and came in a few different standards. Usually you want a 1351 mouse (not to be confused with a 1531 tape recorder) but there also were 1350 joystick-mouse, 3rd party mice from Neos and others.

2. Power supplies should be fairly easy to find. I happen to have one or two 110V supplies that I could give away but I'm living overseas so shipping would cost more than the power supply is worth.

3. Keycaps should also be easy to find. Do you just need the keycap, or the plunger mechanism too? The plungers have a cross-shaped pin that keeps the keycap in place. It is very common that this pin breaks. If it is missing, you need a whole plunger which you replace by unscrewing the keyboard from inside and taking it apart completely. Please specifiy or take a picture of the missing key.

Hey, thanks for such a great response! I am a member of several other specific genres and sometimes people are not so nice!

The mouse I need will be used with MSSIAH... It looks like there are many Amiga mouses that look similar but I don't know if they would work, or if there is some kind of adapter for a PS/2 or USB mouse... Also the 1350 mouse was not really liked, I guess?

Power supplies are not that easy! I actually got someone on craigslist to give me a free C64 and cables, but no power. It is in unbelievable condition. But, a lot of others want relatively a bunch of money for it...

I just need the keycap, the cross shaped plastic piece is there... Just missing the key for the C 64C, F1..

I will try the items wanted too, thanks!

Amiga mice generally are totally incompatible with the C64. I have a faint memory of hearing about some application which could address one but at the cost of temporarily disabling other parts of the machine or so. As for PS/2 and USB interfaces, yes there are a few which can emulate a 1351. Look for example for the Micromys series. There is also a DIY schematic if you rather want to build something.

Sorry to be late to the thread...

Regarding mice, the much more common Amiga mouse looks just like the C-64 mice, but the internals are different. Asking questions and/or getting photographs of the underside will help.

The 1350 wasn't popular at all, and was only available a short time. It just emulated a joystick, so the movement wasn't as fluid or precise. If you'd used a mouse on another computer, you didn't like the 1350. So after a year or so, they released the 1351, which was much better.

Commodore stuff does surface from time to time, and there should still be a fair bit of it floating around in Chicago. I would think a Craigslist posting and some patience would prove effective, especially come March or April when people start doing their spring cleaning. The key is planting the idea in people's minds that someone is interested.

Back