• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Firing up my old Newtons....

czunit

Veteran Member
While cleaning out a drawer I came across my old Newtons. One was a MP100 that was one of the original pre-orders. Old enough that I have the metal stylus for it (yes I sent in the coupon). I might have the box downstairs somewhere, the thing was that revolutionary to me. The other is a MP130 that I bought awhile ago to try NetwonOS 2.0.

Replaced the 2032 battery on the OMP, plugged it into the AC power supply, and after some thinking it fired up. Even read the notes and apps on my 2mb CF card in the top, which was a trip down memory hill as I talked about working with the Resolution Trust Company and how "SANS was hacked". Probably 1992 vintage things. Wow.

However it's running version 1.0.0 because the upgrade is long gone. Question 1: Is there a way to flash an upgrade onto the unit? I can probably build a serial cable or something and I have RS232-USB adapters and such.

The 130 is not coming up: The power switch only moves a tiny bit, is the switch supposed to move a lot when you push it down? If so I may need to take it apart to lube the switch, any thoughts? Same issue for upgrade, but I THINK the 130 could handle a CF Ethernet card so I might be able to get AppleTalk running if I can find that Xircom 10mb card. Or maybe a Cisco wireless but I don't think they had WEP drivers at that time.

Fun stuff.

Bad news, opened it up and yes the switch does not go down far. Checked voltage at the pads on the back with the supply plugged in, solid 7.0 volts which means we have voltage. However no combination of things seem to get it to boot.

So I've pulled out the ROM carrier (I recall you could upgrade a 120 to a 130), will save the front case plate and the power/serial cover and let the rest go to the trash. Drat.

Don't throw anything away! Sell it for parts on eBay, someone can use them or attempt to repair.

The original OMP has some caps in it that go bad and leak. If you have no sound or if your screen dies then that's where to look. They look like tantalum caps but they're plastic cased electrolytics. If you're up to it, I'd just replace them preemptively before you have any damage.

Ok, it wasn't trash night, so it's back on the bench. However I am really trying to not be a necropolis for broken things, so if it doesn't work either someone takes it away or it goes.

Anyway, the MP100 runs off the 7v power supply but does not run off batteries. I popped it open and there seems to be only one cap, is that it?
image0.jpeg
The 130 doesn't do anything. Question: Can it boot if it's only connected to the 7v external supply? As in no AA no buttoncell battery?
image1.jpeg

Also it looks like there is gunk on both the ribbon cable pins and some of the components. I don't remember leaving batteries in this one, maybe I'll grab some 2000 grit sandpaper and clean things up.

But if someone could tell me what is supposed to happen or components to remove maybe I can get it running again.

IMG_4925.jpeg
This guy here is one. Very sneaky, they look like tantalum caps at a glance. It’s to the left of the battery compartment. There are a couple more on the other side of the board that are part of the LCD circuit, and then of course the obvious one that you saw already. It’s really these sneaky ones that leak though. You’ll probably notice corrosion around them if you look.
You can tell them apart from tantalum caps because both leads are on the same side.

Back