• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Flight Simulator 2004

Floppies_only

Veteran Member
Boy I really like FS9. It's pretty realistic now (the last flight sim I used was MS FS 4.0 for the PC) and you can get add-ons for it for a song. I managed to get this joystick (still on the way), that resists your control inputs to make it feel like you are controlling a real airplane. At last I can afford rudder pedals, which I think will make all the difference - needing to use one hand to control three sets of flight controls on the numeric keypad with v. 4.0 just wasn't the real thing. I couldn't afford a good enough monitor back then but if I could have I suppose I could have used too joysticks to make it better.

But the best thing about FS9 for me is that I found a program that speaks to you like a flight instructor. It tells you what to do, and how well you are doing it. So after amassing this impressive collection of...old stuff...and after wanting to learn to fly for almost forty years, I am finally going to be able to do it.

I was using the program and listening to a respresentative from the Ukraine saying that he thought the U.S. wasn't willing to get involved in his country to solve the troubles there because we are decadend. But the laptop I was using was given to me by a friend who found it sitting next to a dumpster. We may be decadent, but I'm not seeing it.

Anyway, this isn't really about vintage since the laptop is only 12 years old, but I just wanted to share my joy with you guys. Spider Robinson wrote that shared joy is increased, and shared pain is lessened.

Oh, I did buy version 4.0 yesterday - I'm going to check it out when I've learned how to fly cross-country. I mean, I've done it, L.A. to Phoenix in the DC-3, but I'd like to actually try the old program when I'm competent at it.

Sean

Back