• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Floating_Point_Unavailable_handler on RS6000 C10

hush

Experienced Member
hey all, i have an RS6000 C10 that i am trying to get running with my P/390, but i have been having trouble getting it working. i have two CPUs both exhibiting CPU-specific errors, namely the Floating_Point_Unavailable_handler and another L2 cache error (despite no cache module being installed), and am at a loss as to what could be going on. the newest CPU was purchased from a reputable vendor as tested and refurbished. my best guess is that the planar is bad, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks as always!

Are these BIST codes on the 3 digit display or errors booting AIX? I would start simple and clean the CPU connector and all the RAM slots with air blast and then maybe IPA+lint free wipes. After that, if no change remove the planar and inspect it with a magnifying glass or microscope.. look for bad traces, loose components, bulging caps.

these are on the display itself, i get nothing from the machine on the serial line. tearing it all apart and cleaning and inspecting it is on my to-do list, just haven't had the bandwidth x)

i have not booted the machine in a while but working backwards from this document it would seem both errors resolve to error code 208:

Code:
208     Floating_Point_Unavailable_handler                                 FATAL
208     Machine check due to an L2 Uncorrectable ECC.

i am guessing it is most likely the planar, i have never tried a CPU with the L2 cache module installed

As you already tried different board and still get this error, I assume it's 99% a planar problem

Back