• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

fluxengine and 8" drives

I haven't tried it, yet. But I do have a fluxengine that I need to build.

I've been monitoring development, for some time.

- Alex

I have it working now with an SA-850 and NF6X's drive cable adapter board. Reads fine, but I haven't yet tried to boot the file. I'll post additional info down the line.

Has anyone written up a list of Radio Shack diskette formats (track/sector info) for both the 5 1/4" and 8" operating systems--wondering if someone might point me to a link if there is one. I had this once, but evidently no longer. :)

fluxengine-SA850-IMG_3905.jpg

I'm using a FluxEngine with a Tandon TM848-2E drive and a FDADAP board, which makes the 8 inch drive look just like a regular 5.25 inch drive. Works well.

As for dropping FluxEngine development - I don't think so, the github repo was last updated 6 days ago https://github.com/davidgiven/fluxengine

I like both the Greaseweazle and the FluxEngine; right now I find that the FluxEngine software a bit easier to use when I'm dealing with floppies where the format is unknown - you get an image right away which I can run other tools on to figure out if the data makes sense. With the Greaseweazle, I first have to convert the dump into a data image before I can do anything more with it.

Last edited:
I'm using a FluxEngine with a Tandon TM848-2E drive and a FDADAP board, which makes the 8 inch drive look just like a regular 5.25 inch drive. Works well.

As for dropping FluxEngine development - I don't think so, the github repo was last updated 6 days ago https://github.com/davidgiven/fluxengine

I like both the Greaseweazle and the FluxEngine; right now I find that the FluxEngine software a bit easier to use when I'm dealing with floppies where the format is unknown - you get an image right away which I can run other tools on to figure out if the data makes sense. With the Greaseweazle, I first have to convert the dump into a data image before I can do anything more with it.

hi tingo. what other software tools are you using?

hi tingo. what other software tools are you using?

That would depend on the disks I'm trying to make images out of. For ms-dos formatted floppies, I use mtools, for CP/M formatted cpmtools, and for ND (Norsk Data) floppies I use ndfs (aka ndfs-tool). The first thing I will try on an unknown image, is to run 'file' on it. If that doesn't reveal anything (it just says "data"), next up is hd (hexdump). You can dig this hole as deep as you want :)

That would depend on the disks I'm trying to make images out of. For ms-dos formatted floppies, I use mtools, for CP/M formatted cpmtools, and for ND (Norsk Data) floppies I use ndfs (aka ndfs-tool). The first thing I will try on an unknown image, is to run 'file' on it. If that doesn't reveal anything (it just says "data"), next up is hd (hexdump). You can dig this hole as deep as you want :)

thanks for the info. rabbit holes can be deep!

Back