• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Fonts for ImageWriter

tomasont

Experienced Member
I have an ImageWriter II hooked up to my LC III. I seem to vaguelly remember being told that certain fonts were designed to look better on dot-matrix printers. Anyone remember this, or know what they are?

I found the following at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Basic_Book_Design/Font.

Low-Res Fonts

If you use a Macintosh, your font library will include several fonts Apple developed in 1984 for the original Macintosh and its Image-Writer printer. These fonts include New York, Geneva, Monaco, and Chicago. These were designed to look good at the low 80 dpi resolution of the original Macintosh and its Image Writer printer. Modern printers are at least 360 dpi. Don't use these fonts unless you're trying to make your document have that authentic 1984 birthplace-of-desktop-publishing look.

So this tells me that the fonts exist. I'm running Mac OS 7.5.5. I wonder if these fonts are included somewhere? Or is the system smart enough to pick the correct font for the device?

Those base fonts are always included with classic MacOS, they are part of the operating system. The font type you are likely referring to is bitmapped fonts. They are literally bitmapped, not vector drawn to size like PS Type 1 or TrueType fonts. You'll see the different sizes inside of the system suitcase. The Imagewriter works fine with TrueType fonts, just don't expect it to be crisp and sharp output.

Back