• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Format compatibility between CP/M-86 and the CP/M-80s?

... Since it's RS-232 there are a number of interesting things you could attach...

Im listening... :rockedov:

I recently booted a copy of CP/M-86 from floppy... The image apparently was a VERY LOW capacity, around 320... which booted from a 1.44 disk! :confused:

Anyway, until I can play with it some more I will keep the MSDOS setup and try the CPeMulator that I have for it to see if anything Ive already written in pascal (MT+) will work as it should...

Fun times, fer sher! :p

I believe Ive done my share of fighting with the CP/M-86... I have not successfully found the area that keeps the FD parameters... not that it would help...
Apparently '86 puts a 'type' byte at the end of the boot sector that tells the system what capacity the disk is... and that USUALLY the drive is accessed by alternating sides.
It would be easier for me to modify the 4p's CP/M to accept '86s disks than the other way around... and Im not 'feeling up to it'.

So... for now at least, Im gonna stick with the already-existing DOS-2-CPM programs out there... at least now I have a portable machine to rely on!
:mrgreen:

Well, the FD-05 takes a 26-pin flex cable connector (the flat mylar type that wedges the cable edge), has direct drive and acan also handle 1.44MB. The one I have is an FD-05HG and can also do 1.23MB PC98-style floppies. Here's a spec sheet.

These were used extensively in laptops--the one I have is black with a blue eject button and was from an IBM Thinkpad.

Hi, the link to TEAC site is not valid anymore. Do anyone happen to still have the datasheet for FD-05HG?

Back