• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

format issue

SteveMarg

Experienced Member
H there.

I am using a Seagate ST11 controller with a Seagate St-225 drive.

The ST11 asks me to format the drive upon boot up, it low level formats fine, I run FDISK, all fine, but then when I try to FORMAT C:, it asks me to insert a disk for formatting.

It seems to think the C drive is a floppy drive.

All card and driver jumpers are correct.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks.

fatwizard

Veteran Member
If you are working with a 5150 or 5160 or something similar, I seem to remember reading somewhere that this can happen if the motherboard switches are set for two floppy drives, but only one drive is installed. Sorry to be unsure, but I can't locate the article I got that from at the moment.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
If you are working with a 5150 or 5160 or something similar, I seem to remember reading somewhere that this can happen if the motherboard switches are set for two floppy drives, but only one drive is installed. Sorry to be unsure, but I can't locate the article I got that from at the moment.

Yes, double-check the floppy drive switches. My dad's IBM 5155 Portable PC came from the factory with the switches set for 4 floppy drives! I didn't notice until I installed a hard drive, and instead of showing up as C:, it showed up as the E: drive! The system will reserve C: and D: for floppy drives if you have the switches set to 3 or 4 floppy drives.