• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

found a Laser 128 EX/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokken

Experienced Member
I was digging through the Goodwill Outlet bins this morning (a new row had just been pulled out) and was shocked to find a crusty old Laser 128/EX2. It was missing two keycaps and i was only able to find one of them. Both stems are sheared off on the keys. No power supply found. a little rust on the back connectors so i have no idea of the working status. it may be some time before i get around to working on it.

What's the situation with the power supply? hopefully something i can put together myself? I have some IIe/IIc machines but this is the first time i've ever seen this thing. I know practically nothing about it other than it is IIe compatible and was made by vtech, the toy company.

Attachments

• photo64368.png
    photo64368.png
    307.2 KB · Views: 5
An EX/2?! At a Goodwill? I haven't even seen so much as a keyboard at the Goodwill stores around here. Perhaps they thought it was a toy?

Laser 128 computers use a 17v 1.8amp power supply. The DIN connectors they use can be found from various sources.

It is wired the same as an Apple IIc, but the IIc uses a 15v supply.

If you have a IIc power supply it will work with the machine, although it may be a little unhappy with it. (screen might dim during floppy access and floppy might not always step properly).

An EX/2?! At a Goodwill? I haven't even seen so much as a keyboard at the Goodwill stores around here. Perhaps they thought it was a toy?

Laser 128 computers use a 17v 1.8amp power supply. The DIN connectors they use can be found from various sources.

It is wired the same as an Apple IIc, but the IIc uses a 15v supply.

If you have a IIc power supply it will work with the machine, although it may be a little unhappy with it. (screen might dim during floppy access and floppy might not always step properly).

I share the amazement... It's been years since Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. have had anything computer related available. It all gets collected in the back room and sold by the truck load to metal recycling. And, no, they won't let you look either.

I share the amazement... It's been years since Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. have had anything computer related available. It all gets collected in the back room and sold by the truck load to metal recycling. And, no, they won't let you look either.

I used to find all sorts of good stuff at Salvation Army. But not anymore. Goodwill appears to sell all their electronics on shopgoodwill.com - I don’t care for that approach but totally makes sense for them to maximize their income through auctions.

I just found out the other day that our local Value Village is closing. I asked, and they said the rent at that location skyrocketed and they could not find another location. Every once in a rare while they had something interesting computer related.

so an update on this first goodwill-find laser 128. it did not work. it had the battery backup board near the back left corner that had leaked badly down to the main board. I wrapped it up and put it on a shelf in the garage.

Then today at the same goodwill outlet, a guy I know found ANOTHER Laser 128 in the bins. This one was also missing a couple of keys and has a broken key stem or two. He then found the power supply. I ran in around noon and I usually talk to the regulars to see what they found. I paid him a modest finder's fee for the second Laser knowing it likely had similar battery leak issues. But this one worked! I took it apart and this one does NOT have the battery backup board. It also does not have the memory riser board that my first one has.

Between the two, I should have a complete working Laser!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back