• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Found! Ibm xt and monitor

Alright, I have been busy. So I fixed the display problem and my monitor now reads clearly decipherable computer language that is while still foreign to me proof that my monitor is now connected properly. All it really took was the proper terminology for the serial cable which I was calling a vga or db9. With the phrase serial cable I was able to get the correct pin out or color code allowing me to solder a new cable to the monitors old one that had been ironically snipped for copper.

My next step is to get a keyboard for this machine. Which keyboards will work on my ibm?

Further more please take a gander at a couple of photos I took paying attention to what the monitor is reading and give me a heads up of the meaning of it.

Attachments

• 1D414BED-15D1-43AB-BFB4-73356E1067CF.jpeg
    1D414BED-15D1-43AB-BFB4-73356E1067CF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 5EC5272A-8170-4917-AB82-46D15EA47CE0.jpeg
    5EC5272A-8170-4917-AB82-46D15EA47CE0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
To have the computer start up and display something on-screen, the answer is no.
To have the computer start up and display something on-screen, you don't even need a keyboard, although without a compatible keyboard connected, a 301 error is expected on-screen.

What you have there is CGA, not VGA.
The diagram at [here] will assist.
Ok I have a 301 error. The monitor has been repaired. My next step is a keyboard.

It's funny that someone snipped the monitor's cable, worth maybe $0.50 in copper, but left behind easily $400 worth of vintage computer equipment.

I have a 5153 monitor cable sitting around that I can examine, and post how the 9 pin connector should connect to the internal connector.
Actually scrap metal is how I learned about vintage computers. Now I have interest in gold recovery and have successfully stripped circuit boards of their gold to refine and produce solid gold. I am greatful I know better than to scrap this computer because now once I get a keyboard I will have a working ibm xt.

Ok I have a 301 error. The monitor has been repaired. My next step is a keyboard.
Yep. Keyboard error. Just press F1 and it'll boot.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Amazing find btw! That's a beauty!

Yep. Keyboard error. Just press F1 and it'll boot.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Amazing find btw! That's a beauty!
Ty, I am having trouble finding a keyboard. Hopefully I will get a decent one original to this time period.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11589048...BEdGaIO|tkp:Bk9SR5Cor83CYg [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]
The model F can be a bit pricey.
I found an untested complete and clean model f

The model F can be a bit pricey.
Honestly I was born in 1981. I grew up with nintendo and now I play fortnite on my dell alienware laptop. I am wondering why and for how long can I actually stay on the xt playing games? I imagine setting it up and having a working xt on display but my house is not a museum so idk what I am doing. Lol

Honestly I was born in 1981. I grew up with nintendo and now I play fortnite on my dell alienware laptop. I am wondering why and for how long can I actually stay on the xt playing games? I imagine setting it up and having a working xt on display but my house is not a museum so idk what I am doing. Lol

Possibly, not a lot. There are plenty of games but they are basic (and often in BASIC !), but if you dont have an interest in the machine beyond fixing it, then Ebay will get you a reasonable amount, or donate to a museum. We are always happy to receive donations and I am sure so are all the others.

Keyboard, while the genuine IBM XT keyboards are expensive, you can get compatible ones from the era which would help you realise a reasonable sale price as a complete system

I highly recommend running the Area 5150 demo.

One simple upgrade you can do is to temporarily connect a modern 3.5" floppy drive to your XT. It will only be able to read and write 720k disks, but so can any PC using a USB floppy drive. You can cover the high density hole on a 1.44 MB disk to turn it into a functional 720k disk if you don't have any double density disks. You can get adapters for the floppy power and data connectors.

Hopefully you'll find the hard drive is working. It's a good sign that the only error reported was for the keyboard.

People who snip the cords off of electronics on the curb are my sworn enemies. Imagine using $15 in gas, going around exerting physical effort in the heat, snipping the $0.01-in-copper cords off of devices that are worth sometimes hundreds of dollars intact...

Back