• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Found myself a Tandy 2500 SX!

AdamAnt316

Experienced Member
Hello, everyone! Things seem to be coming up Tandy for me lately. After finding both a TRS-80 MC-10 and a Tandy 1200HD at last month's MIT Swap, I've now acquired a Tandy 2500 SX. It was pretty much a throw-in with a boxed Commodore Plus/4 I bought at a hamfest this past weekend; it came with a bag containing accessories (seen below), but no keyboard or monitor. I have yet to open it up or plug it in; it apparently has 1MB RAM and a 52MB hard drive, but no expansion cards. Anyway, here are some pictures:

tandy2500sx_1.jpg

The top. A little dingy, but not bad. Will have to take pictures of the insides soon.

tandy2500sx_2.jpg

Front panel. The 5.25" disk drive is apparently an official upgrade.

tandy2500sx_3.jpg

Back panel. Why are there only 14 holes in the VGA connector? Do I need some sort of special VGA cable?

tandy2500sx_4.jpg

Included accessories. Is the SXSETUP program on one of the DeskMate disks, or would it have been on a different disk?

Nice find! That was my first PC. I upgraded the hard drive in it to 1.7G and installed Win95. It crawled! Would love to get one again though

My 2500SX is one of my favorite desktop systems.

Not a lot of people realize it, but it DOES have the Tandy 1000-series audio capabilities, just on a different port than normal. There has been game patches and a TSR developed for a third-party add-on Tandy sound card clone that should work on this machine as well!

Thanks for the replies! I'll have to modify one of my VGA cables to fit the connector, if I don't already have one with the missing pin. Once I've done that, I'll power it up and see what it does. Guessing the BIOS battery is long flat; is the SETUPSX program on one of the DeskMate disks I pictured above, or was it on a different disk that came with the system? Also, does it need to be on a boot disk? Again, thanks!
-Adam

Back