• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Frank Durda's Enhanced Model II/16/6000 Boot ROM

dlightman

Experienced Member
Frank added support for the Model 2000 keyboard and Hitachi HD64180 along with a host of other fixes and optimizations.

The ROM (FDIV_89.bin) has the checksum of DF85 in a reader and AD85 in MEMII. I've ran it in a 16A, 16B, 6000 and trs80gp for about 6 months without any issues. It feels like the initialization and boot is faster but I haven't validated that against C9AC.

When the XENIX 3.3 upgrade was released I started using the 2000 keyboard to take advantage of the "new" virtual console support. The downside is you can't really type anything until XENIX boots and z80ctl loads. This ROM restores some of that and recognizes the break key so you can boot from floppy but be aware that whatever you boot into needs to know how to deal with the scan code differences.

BOOTROM.TAR contains the source code and binaries for several ROM's that can be built using ALDS.
FDIV_89.bin was built from the code inside of the bootrom\new directory dated 04/1989.

You can download it here: https://bit.ly/3cDpYVa

If you're looking for a EEPROM to use 28c16's are good fit and seem to work well. I've specifically used CSI CAT28C16AL's which have worked fine in my machines and others that I've sent them to.

Last edited:
I've just tested this in my M16 and it works well. Thanks!

Back