• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Free Geek - your ultimate hardware playpen

benali72

If you like to play around with lots of old computer hardware, you might try your local Free Geek.

Free Geek is a not-for-profit, unpaid volunteer organization that accepts donations of old computers, then re-uses what can be re-used and recycles the rest.

The computers we fix up and give away to the needy (or sell to make our rent money) aren't vintage, of course. Most are P-III, some are late-model P-II, and some are P-IV.

I know everyone here likes playing with hardware, so this might be a way to play with lots of it while doing good. I've been working there for a year and find it a satisfying outlet for my tinkering urges. (The first time I went there, I saw parts all over the floor... I thought I had died and wound up in heaven!)

Free Geek is in about a dozen cities (or start your own branch). Full info is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_geek.

Seconded.

There is one in Vancouver and whenever I have the chance and I am in town I try to go there. Last time I was there I picked up a suitable IBM PCMCIA cd drive for my (then) future PC110 and bought a few firewire cables.
I know a guy who works there and besides him lettimg me get access to the real good stuff (Video Toaster anyone?), he might also help me land a job there.

Back