• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Free in Portland, OR: PDP-11/23

Anonymous Freak

Veteran Member
NOT MINE!

See Craigslist post:
1983 vintage PDP-11/23 small business minicomputer. All units power up OK, but too many dirty contacts to boot. Just clean and ready for museum work or just some old-school computing. Many documents and spare parts. 300+ lbs, 19" rack, bring pickup truck and a few friends. Free to good home. 2*RL02 w/ 20+ disks. Spares include "J" processor, ethernet cards (no software), more memory. True VT-100, also VT-240 color graphics terminal. Not a PC, serious computing only. Offered until 10/31, after which it's off to recycler.

I don't have the space (or energy) to spare for it, but hopefully someone in the Pacific Northwest can save this from the recycler!

I would gladly take it. BUT, why, oh why, does it have to be on the other end of the US!

Just a gentle reminder ...

If everybody replied to a thread lamenting about that the item is in the wrong region for them, then each thread would be several thousand replies long. (Yes, we have that many registered users.)

Before you reply to a post, think about if you are going to add anything of value to the thread.

Mike

There have been a LOT of these types of offers lately, something up? lol Maybe since they're so big they're value has sunk due to lack of shipping or is it a model issue that some go for $$$ and some for free? ..I guess I'm curious if there's a good PDP FAQ out there to explain what versions do what or what's a good unit for someone who wouldn't know what they're staring at?

As luck would have it, I'm in Portland, OR, and have sent e-mail asking if the item is still available. If so, I'll definitely scramble to pick it up.

- Earl

Success - I have picked up the first lot of materials, and will return early next week for the PDP-11/23 itself, and other bigger pieces. It is in good shape and should be repairable, especially given the impressive collection of spare parts (boards, card cage, front panel) that the owner is giving me. I'm very excited - this is the first minicomputer in my collection!

@gubbish - yes, not a space saver, but definitely will fit in the downstairs area. It's 42" tall, 22" wide, 30" deep - not too bad. Little bigger than a washing machine. And it runs off of 120V mains power, so no special 220V needed either...

I'll be taking pictures and video, and will blog/podcast about the adventure as it unfolds...

- Earl

Back