• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

(Free) Tandy 1000 SL and Monitor

natcha

Experienced Member
I have been helping a friend clean out his house and came across a Tandy 1000 SL computer. The case is grimy with dirt. I haven't opened it up, but can see that it has a 5.25 drive and a 3.5 drive. No keyboard or discs. Haven't tried powering it up.

Also found a small Tandy RGB color monitor. Again not powered up.

I'd like to see these go to someone who can use them. I will NOT ship them. Either pick up or we meet somewhere to do handover.

Items are located in Smithville, NJ, about 5 miles north of Atlantic City.

Please PM me if you are interested. If not claimed by last week of June, then they will go to the recycler.

Thanks,

Bill
Smithville, NJ

The system was delivered to its new owner today.

It has now been powered up. The hard drive card failed, but otherwise it boots up
with a floppy. The monitor also worked.

Thanks to everyone. It's a happy day when they can be saved from the trash/recyclers.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

The hard drive card failed

If the machine had a "hard card" (ie. hard disk mounted on an ISA card in an ISA slot) then what probably happened is the heads got stuck to the platter. I don't remember hard cards automatically parking the heads when the drive powered off, so the heads could become fused with the platters if left off for a long period of time.

I had an old compaq portable with a hard card that failed in this manner. Someone gave me the machine and I was wondering why the drive wouldn't spin up. Upon closer inspection the head had fused to the platter quite solidly. I new the drive was junk so I pried the head off the platter and the drive started to spin again and try and seek data. Of course it couldn't because the head was corroded and there was a big square chunk of the platter missing at that point.

Back