• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FS: Nearly entire vintage (mid '80s-mid '90s) computer collection

Anonymous Freak

Veteran Member
My goal has always been to have a 'representative sampling' of vintage computers, and it just turned in to pure "hoarding" over the years.

Well, it has been three years since I reasonably had any time to devote to my hobby, and no reasonable expectation of having time soon. I had been meaning to sell my duplicates individually as I worked on the collection, but the time has come that it's just not feasible any more.

So, for a fixed price of $2000, you will get approximately 100 vintage computers, ranging from Mac Plus, Apple IIc, Apple IIgs, IBM PC-AT to beige Power Mac G3, Silicon Graphics Indy, IBM PC-300 (Pentium 2), and even an IBM PC Power Series (PowerPC-based "PC", rather than RS/6000 workstation.) Among the highlights: nearly every 68k Mac from the Plus up, including Macintosh IIfx, Macintosh SE/30 with 128 MB RAM, Macintosh Portable (VERY flaky at present, worked fine a few years ago, has power issues now,) PowerBook 100 (with 'bit rot' in the center of the screen,) basically every model of Power Macintosh in the 7x00-line, about half a dozen IBM PS/2s plus a few newer IBMs, an SGI Indy and two Challenge-S systems, an HP Apollo 9000 PA-RISC system.

Only catch: obviously this is too much to ship - you'd need to come by with a panel van or something similar. I am in Portland, Oregon, and am available any weekend.

Note: I am still interested in vintage computers, so this sale does *NOT* include some of my 'key' pieces: My Macintosh 128, my NeXTstation setup, my PowerPC IBM ThinkPad. And I would be keeping about half a dozen other systems (basically all of which I have duplicates of - PowerBook 5x0, Macintosh SE, etc.) The collection of about 100 includes systems ranging in condition from pristine fully functional to barely-useful-as-parts. Also included would be a large stash of various parts - RAM, hard drives, accessories, software, etc.

I am not in a hurry, this isn't a "come get it by tomorrow or they get sent through a shredder", but I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to spend the time needed to actually go through them all and sell them one-by-one.

Hm.. think you'll have the motivation to come up with a full list of systems? That would probably entice the sale as well as prepare for a nice system by system sale if you end up going that route.

My goal has always been to have a 'representative sampling' of vintage computers, and it just turned in to pure "hoarding" over the years.

Well, it has been three years since I reasonably had any time to devote to my hobby, and no reasonable expectation of having time soon. I had been meaning to sell my duplicates individually as I worked on the collection, but the time has come that it's just not feasible any more.

So, for a fixed price of $2000, you will get approximately 100 vintage computers, ranging from Mac Plus, Apple IIc, Apple IIgs, IBM PC-AT to beige Power Mac G3, Silicon Graphics Indy, IBM PC-300 (Pentium 2), and even an IBM PC Power Series (PowerPC-based "PC", rather than RS/6000 workstation.) Among the highlights: nearly every 68k Mac from the Plus up, including Macintosh IIfx, Macintosh SE/30 with 128 MB RAM, Macintosh Portable (VERY flaky at present, worked fine a few years ago, has power issues now,) PowerBook 100 (with 'bit rot' in the center of the screen,) basically every model of Power Macintosh in the 7x00-line, about half a dozen IBM PS/2s plus a few newer IBMs, an SGI Indy and two Challenge-S systems, an HP Apollo 9000 PA-RISC system.

Only catch: obviously this is too much to ship - you'd need to come by with a panel van or something similar. I am in Portland, Oregon, and am available any weekend.

Note: I am still interested in vintage computers, so this sale does *NOT* include some of my 'key' pieces: My Macintosh 128, my NeXTstation setup, my PowerPC IBM ThinkPad. And I would be keeping about half a dozen other systems (basically all of which I have duplicates of - PowerBook 5x0, Macintosh SE, etc.) The collection of about 100 includes systems ranging in condition from pristine fully functional to barely-useful-as-parts. Also included would be a large stash of various parts - RAM, hard drives, accessories, software, etc.

I am not in a hurry, this isn't a "come get it by tomorrow or they get sent through a shredder", but I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to spend the time needed to actually go through them all and sell them one-by-one.

Use an ebay trading assistant to help you sell. Here is an example, with costs. They do all the work and send you the check. You might have ten times what you're asking for in computers.

http://www.ezauctiondropoff.com/

Yeah, I'd rather see them go to a collector for a reasonable price. While more money would be great, I'd have to cart them over! :-D (Not to mention most of them probably aren't worth the minimum $50. Lots of $10-$20 systems.) And, of course, if I sold all the >$50 stuff, nobody would want most of the rest...

barythrin, I'll have to see if I have a reasonably up-to-date list in a spreadsheet somewhere. Unfortunately, I have had a hard drive crash, and backup drive crash, since I knew for certain I had a list - and I know I've added machines since then.

About 100 Macintoshes, about half 68k half PPC (including two G3 iMacs - the first and the last G3 models, and an eMac,) about 20 of them notebooks (mostly 100-series, but also a couple 500-series and a few 5300-series, two 1400-series, and two "Lombard"s;) somewhere around a dozen IBMs from an AT to a Pentium III, with the majority in the 486-Pentium range, including the "PC Power Edition"; two Silicon Graphics Challenge-S servers plus one Indy workstation; an HP Apollo 9000 workstation, about half a dozen displays of various kinds, and a bunch of accessories (printers, scanners.) Plus a few boxes of software, a few boxes of cables, a few boxes of adapters cards (lots of Mac NuBus cards, plus assorted ISA, PCI.)

Back